| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TNN is moving
Buddy Buddy

Nashville, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2001 7:38 pm    

I know i'm not psychic but the 9 0'clock news just aired some more TNN news,that backs what I said yesterday. It just happened sooner than I thought. TNN announced, at a noon meeting, TODAY, they were letting 125 go, were moving to New York, and would only leave a sort of skeleton crew, to handle the Opry, and CMT !!! It has to be worse than I figured.
I haven't been to Nashville, for some time, because of a throat problem. It was growing shut. However, I went to Vanderbilt today, and I hope what they did, will take care of that problem. Maybe I can get back in fast gear, again. I would imagine the pickers that work the Opry, as well as the performers
are a little shook up, themselves. A lot of the singers couldn't hack it, without their Opry pay. We'll see. I'll try to keep in touch, and let you folks who live away from this area, what is going on. I hope to be in Nashville, next Monday. The Longhorn, on Lyle Ave., {near Music Row}, is THE place for the latest, PLUS they serve THE BEST New York Strip, that can be found !!!! Then over to The Station Inn, for some TRIPLE GOOD, western swing with Johnny Cox, Hoot Hester, etc. what a group !!! Plus people you haven't seen in years, drop by.

"Little" Buddy.
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 6:23 am    

Buddy--We really appreciate the information that you post concerning this disheartening mess. I know it's some effort but please, keep up the reporting and thanks so much !!! Bill Myrick
John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 10:16 am    

I hadn't realized that TNN was no longer The Nashville Network but The National Network. But what can you expect from an MTV station anyway.

Then again, I don't have cable and seldom watch TV at all.

Here is the article from the Tennessean

Nashville ties with TNN are thinning; most of its jobs going to New York
By RICHARD LAWSON
Staff Writer

Media giant Viacom International Inc. is severing nearly all of TNN’s ties with Nashville in a decision that will leave 125 people without jobs.

Viacom executives told employees yesterday at The National Network, formerly The Nashville Network, that many of the functions in Nashville will be moved to New York. TNN is part of Viacom’s MTV Networks.

The job cuts, which represent 35% of MTV Networks’ Nashville employees, will come over the next six months, said Cheryl Daly, Viacom’s spokeswoman. Viacom also owns Country Music Television, which was spared any cuts.

TNN’s Internet sibling, Country.com, had staff cuts but will remain in Nashville largely intact and focusing on country music.

TNN’s engineering, programming, promotions, legal and public relations are among the functions that will be moved to New York. All that will be left of the network in Nashville is outdoors and sports programming and some remote production work, Daly said. TNN will continue to air the Grand Ole Opry.

Steve Garrity, director of information technology, said the mood was somber around the TNN offices when executives made the announcement.

"I was cut today," the 18-year veteran said.

"I had a staff of around 25 people. About 10 will get cut by the end of this week. … It was all friendly and cordial."

Yesterday’s news marks the second sad day for TNN employees in five months. Last September, Viacom announced a major shake-up that took "Nashville" out of the 17-year-old network’s name, replacing it with National, and shifting its focus from country to pop culture.

Viacom also moved TNN’s management functions to New York and brought about the retirement of David Hall, a TNN founder and president.

"With David Hall leaving, we kind of saw the writing on the wall," Garrity said, adding that the rumor mill had been indicating cuts may be coming.

CMT continues to have a strong presence in Nashville, and has expanded some in recent months as it adds long-form programming to its music video mix.

"We are going to stay in this space" for now, Daly said of the facilities next to the Grand Ole Opry House.

Viacom still has two years left on its lease on the production facilities with Nashville-based Gaylord Entertainment Co., which finalized the sale of TNN and CMT to Westinghouse in 1997. Westinghouse later became CBS, and Viacom finalized its purchase of CBS last year.

For TNN, Daly said since TNN was re-branded, it has had its best ratings quarter for the network.

The station now features programming far from its country roots, and has bought 43 Paramount movies, including The Godfather.

"TNN is now being branded as a pop culture channel," Daly said.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 11:10 am    

I totally agree with you! And, I had the pleasure of going to see Johnny Cox and them at the Station Inn, and, whew, what a treat!

------------------
Abraham -

My Website!
abraham@music.com
WBStokley.com
SteelGuitarInfo.com

Equipment - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.

I'm creating a "Steel Guitar Calender" for 2002, so if you'd like to be in the calender, e-mail a picture of you and a short bio about your steel, yourself, and whatnot!

Bobby Lee, Thanks For The Service You've Put Into The Steel Guitar Forum!

• Steel Guitar Forum Rocks!
  • Real Country Music Rocks!
  • Abraham's Website Rocks!
  • WBStokley.com Rocks!
  • Pedal Steel Guitar Rocks!

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 12:33 pm    

While I feel a saddened heart for those that were dismissed, I say " Let TNN go to NYC." Country music has had several new beginnings and each time it comes back stronger than ever. The Motherchurch (Ryman) must be reeling now with the sounds of Steel and guitars again.

I said some time back, That if the opry every went back to the Ryman again, it would NEVER go back out to ShopryMills. It seems like my thoughts have come true. Eventho true country music seems to have diminished over the years, not really, it's only being concentrated into a smaller and much tighter group. As in the past, It will burst forth again bigger than ever. Hang in there folks, Country music does wan and wax a bit ever so often.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 26 January 2001 at 10:31 PM.]

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 12:50 pm    

I can't stand to watch TNN anymore just because of those idiotic "Pop" commercials. It's worse than MTV,which BTW has virtually no music on it anymore.

VH1 also is a shell of it's former self, most of the key people have left and all they are producing are list show, e.g."Top twenty best dressed Rock Stars" "Top 100 So & So".

They have stopped Legends, Storytellers, Unplugged, etc.

The funny thing they all have in common is Viacom.

I think it will all come full circle though, I hope the advertisers on TNN realize I watch FoodTV now instead of them, at least they have some Southern & Country Culture on them, I guess Viacom is looking to attrack their own viewers away from MTV.

------------------
Regards, Craig
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2001 6:39 pm    

*POP* *POP* "Pitooey !!!!!!
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2001 7:18 am