| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any intrest in a show in the Northwest???
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 10:46 pm    

After reading about the new show in Tn. I would like to see something in the same vain in the Northwest.Does anybody agree? I would really support this type of thing.Why should them guys back East have all the fun.Any of you "Headliners" willing to come? Maybe we don't have enought Steel players to do it. Chime in Please Thanks Dave
John Cadeau

Surrey,B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2001 11:42 pm    

Hi Dave:
It would be nice to have something like that up here, but you may be right I don't know if there are enough steel players in these parts to support something like that.
John from Vancouver B.C.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2001 9:04 am    

Wally Giffin has put on several shows in the Seattle area, all of which were a blast for the participants. The last one was 18 months ago, I believe, and Carter came out from Texas to show. Most of them don't have a lot of 'names', but encorporate showcases for some of the better known local players, as well as a huge jam.

The only problem is that I believe they have all lost money. I bet he would be willing to plan another one if folks would be willing to help.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 3:43 pm    

I'd be interested! I live in Eastern Oregon but I'll drive 150 mi. to go to a gig and 300 to see a concert. I'd be glad to help organize or whatever.
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2001 6:57 pm    

I was at the last one we had in the Northwest,it was a great show. I thought the turnout was good so how can we do it again and not loose money.These jams are so important in the support of the steel guitar and its future.We should encourage our younger players to attend.I would encourage all of you to give me some feedback on this.Larry? Pete? Thanks Dave
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 12:56 pm    

I would drive the distance from Imnaha in Northeast Oregon to a show. I only know of one steel player that lives in this area and that is over in Elgin, OR. I'm just an old want-a-be!
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2001 6:16 pm    

Thanks guys, keep em comin Dave
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 11:26 am    

I'll be there, for sure.
Ann Fabian

Mesquite, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 12:04 pm    

The last I heard Wally has been very busy with his wife. Here's a post from Wally in October of 2000 for those who did not see it.

I believe it would need to be someone else hosting and running the show at this point (from what Wally mentioned to me over the last year or 2).

Carter Steel Guitars had a fantastic time at the last show! And, what a gorgeous area of our country you all live in! Nice (but too short) vacation after the show . . . that's a nice plus, too.

Here are some photos of the last Seattle area show.
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 6:50 pm    

Thanks Ann for your imput and Carter's participation with that show.I am mystery guest #8 on the photo page but I hope to meet and get to know more steel players in and around this area.As I remember that show was well recieved by all that attended so I would hope that they are ready for another show. Don & his wife from Sierra guitars were there along with Tom Bradshaw, so I believe we have the intrest but just need to get it all together.Yakima is in the middle of the state so I think it would be better in say Portland or Seattle. Any other thoughs on location? Thanks everyone Dave
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 11:16 am    

^
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 5:58 pm    

Portland would be great.....that way we could invade Don over at the Sierra Shop.
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 8:10 am    

Just a second thought......with Sierra here in the NW, maybe if this thing can get off the ground, wonder what the possibility of getting a Joe Wright instruction/training session going with it.
BDBassett

Rimrock AZ
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 8:41 am    

I drove past the place where the last NW steel Guitar Jam took place in '98 and it's all closed up and dark. It was a pretty darn good site for a jam too...bummer.

You bet I'd attend another if it should happen to take place somewhere. Portland, Yakima, Spokane, Seattle, I'm there. I'd be willing to help get it organized, time permitting. Dave, Dan, Larry, Jerry, Tab...send me a note and let's see if we can't somehow 'Light this candle'.

BD Bassett
wbass424399@qwest.net

[This message was edited by BDBassett on 15 January 2001 at 08:42 AM.]

Adam

Seattle,WA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 10:45 am    

I was real disappointed to hear there would be no Northwest steel event this year.I went to the last one and had a great time.I would be more than willing to lend a hand to bring it back.
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 7:25 pm    

I just now ran across this thread. I would definitely be interested in a NW steel convention. I don't have the time or money to travel very far. Sign me up!
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2001 8:35 pm    

This is looking better all the time! I think it would be a good idea to plan it maybe sometime in April or May so we don't have the snow issue.I was also thinking about contacting the Eagles club here in Yakima to see if we could have it there, they have alot of room big dance floor good sounding room with a good sized stage.The band i'm in plays there about 8 months out of the year. What do you guys think? B.D. Do you think the guys over there would drive to Yakima? I will probably contact Don from Sierra and see if he's interested. Thanks Dave
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 8:02 am    

JayDee M. are you out there? Maybe you would be interested, I know that your dad lives up in that area somewhere. You could visit him and come to a show also! Thank about it.
Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 8:04 am    

Boy, I should check my spelling?
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 10:06 am    

I'll come.

One thing that Wally found was that he generally lost money bringing in 'name' players. I liked the format of the last show a lot: putting groups of players (typically two at a time) together playing in a band setting (rather than doing the typical steel show thing). Then the massive jam also had it's moments, as well.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2001 9:02 pm    

I called Don @ Sierra today and he has left for NAMM so I will call him in a week and get back to you all.Take Care Dave
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 3:17 pm    

Hey, do any of you Washingtonians know Duane Becker? He lives in Elk and plays with Wylie and the Wild West. Super nice guy and a monster player. He'd be a good addition to any steel show up there.
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 8:46 pm    

Thanks Gordon, I would hope Duane would come as I hope steel players of all levels would be there. Jams are a great learning tool.We have alot of great players in the Northwest getting them all together would be really cool!Dave
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2001 9:41 pm    

I was at Wally's last jam and had a great time. Hope someone can get another one going, I'll be there..........

------------------
http://www.driveway.com/bin/share.jsp?sid=801d5dd6.4caf6

http://communities.msn.com/MySteelGuitarPage/homepage
Sierra S-12 9&7
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2001 12:32 pm    

Hey David that would be great if you came,you sure cooked at the last one we had!Dave