| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why buy a Mac?
Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2007 2:22 am    

My PC (Compaq) is six years old, getting fussy and noisy so I'm thinking it's time to retire it and get a new computer. I've been to the Apple web site looking, noticed the prices are higher, but like what I see. Kind of like playing my six string Melobar and looking at a eight string Sierra lap steel and trying to justify the expense.
On this forum I've don't recall ever reading where anyone has bought a Mac and regretted it, or said if they had to do it over they'd save the extra expense and buy a PC. I don't recall ever reading anything negative about Macs. Are they that good? Have you got one? Do you really think it's superior to a PC? Why?
I use a computer to surf the web, store some photos, download and print tab, do my ebay thing - buy and sell. Visit and post on several music forums. No gaming or videos other than an occasional YouTube.
Why buy a Mac? Someone enlighten this ignorant seventy year old child. Anyone. Tell my your experiences, pro and con. Thanks in advance.

Jude

"Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter". - Kruger Bear

Last edited by Jude Reinhardt on 4 Nov 2007 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2007 4:50 am    

I switched to Mac about 6 years ago and never looked back. My experience is that the Mac OS is easier to use in that the organizational system is more logical.
I've never had a crash, a virus or any of the myriad of problems that plague PCs.

Every Mac comes with Garage Band, iMovie, a built in camera (if youve ever seen iChat its incredible) and much more.

You dont need to install any drivers or anything to get the computer to work, which apparently you have to do with new PCs that have Vista. You just plug it in and it works. Period. No cryptic error messages either.

The new iMac is quite beautiful, sleek and elegant. And its roughly the same price as any comparable PC.

If you want a computer experience thats smooth and easy going, low maintenence and is actually FUN to use, get a Mac. You wont regret it. Go to your local Apple store and take one for a spin.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2007 6:10 am     Get A Mac

I see post after post on this forum asking Wiz and Jack how to fix their PC, and I'm glad, being a Mac user, that I don't have any of those issues - I mean, I don't think I'd even want to use a computer if it were that much hassle. I'm not a noob, but if I were, this alone would convince me to get a Mac.

Macs are easier to use - no Registry or DLL problems, no viruses and other malware attacks, no pre-loaded trial software, almost no hardware or software incompatibility issues, easier networking, all the photo, video and music software you need... And the list goes on.

And, as Joe mentioned, a Mac is comparable in price to a similarly configured PC; cheaper, actually, when you factor in down time and maintenance.

The new version of OSX, Leopard, is due this month and that will be another reason to switch.

Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2007 6:44 am    

Thanks Joe and Cal. It'll be about a month before I can do anything and Leopard should be out by then. I like the looks of the twenty inch Imac and that's probably the way I'll go.
Any one else have an opinion about the Mac. Wiz? Jack?

Jude

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2007 6:48 am    

If I could use a Mac for the type of work I do, and it would run the programs I need, I would have one. As things are, I must use a PC. I could go to a dual boot Intel Mac, but there is no point in my doing so, as most of my applications are not Mac compatible, nor do any of my customers use that OS.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2007 7:14 am     imac

Jude, the iMac is a sweet machine. I've set up and used 2 of the new ones here at work. Good choice. But be sure to budget for an external hard drive to back up your data, since the iMac holds only one drive. Hard drives aren't generally platform specific, and they will fail eventually, whether they're connected to a Mac or a PC.

PS. Did I mention to back up your data?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2007 2:48 am    

Like Wiz, all my client base is PC's, and no Mac's (the last figure I saw about a month ago was that Mac's had 5% of the PC market and Microsoft OS systems were at 89%).

Apple has a huge advantage over Microsoft OS based PC's as Apple controls the PC's hardware and software and only has to make their OS software work on their own hardware. Microsoft OS's have to work on thousands of potentially different hardware configurations. The old IBM OS/2 operating system (similar to Windows) ran great on an IBM PS/2 PC, sort of like the MAC's, but could be iffy if ran on compatible non IBM PC's.

But, most of my calls are not because there is a hardware problem or an actual OS problem, it's mostly "operator error", don't know how to run a program, want a program installed, etc. This was the same when I managed a Network and Hardware Help Desk for SSA, many of the issues we got were mainframe issues, not "PC" issues or were "dumb" terminals connected to controllers that ran a special OS (such as Unix or Xenix) and we faced many of the same problems that I see on Microsoft OS systems. Mac's were evaluated for our network and rejected, at the time, as they couldn't support the Agency's telecommunications/processing requirements.
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2007 4:57 am    

I think you'll really like the iMac, Jude. I got Apple Care, which extends your warranty to 3 years. I think its worth it.

I know you said you mostly get into the internet, pictures, ebay etc. but I think once you get a Mac you may find yourself using Garage Band and iMovie.
Both programs are quite fun. Dont be afraid to explore the iLife apps.
Joe Harwell

"I've never been bad." ........ Many, LA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2007 6:45 am     Re: Get A Mac

Cal Sharp wrote:
I see post after post on this forum asking Wiz and Jack how to fix their PC,. . .

Excellent observation there, Cal.

No matter what the flavor, I look at computers solely as a tool to accomplish a job.

If I didn't live/work for a living in a MS-centric world, I'd go strictly Mac.

Windows is like a crescent wrench.
Ever try to overhaul a motor with just a crescent wrench?

I see Mac's as a set of finely crafted wrenches.

I must admit, MS has put the beans on my table Smile !
Better not bite the hand that feeds me.

I recently did build a 64 bit windows machine strictly for a recording studio.
But it's just for that, not for interneting or anything else.
Nothing else runs on it except the recording/editing software.
And I'm very pleased with it. It's great.
But it's designed as a one-trick pony.

With Mac's, you've just got to adjust living with others who are always talking about their windows woes.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2007 9:08 pm    

I bought a new 20" iMac for my office at home and I'm so happy I'm beside myself...

(taken with the built-in iSight camera using Photo Booth)

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2007 4:57 am    

Tommy

You two guys kill me. Laughing

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2007 8:08 am    

question, will the memory that works in a pc work in a mac??? shows to be same
2GB/2048MB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 RAM
the I mac uses the same... but this says for pc... Im trying the I mac be here tomorrow...))) wish me luck.. this pc been giving me fits!
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2007 8:23 am     RAM

David, you can usually go to the web site of whoever manufactured the RAM you have and look up the iMac and see if it fits.
Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 4:01 am    

Quote:
will the memory that works in a pc work in a mac???

As long as the specs are the same, yes.
Joe Harwell

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 4:58 am    

Since Mac has left its Motorola architecture
and moved to the Intel design,
traditionally pc components will work.

Mac's way of competing.
This is a move to be MS compatible, also.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak & the strong; because, someday in life you will have been all of these".
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 5:18 am    

thanks guy's, I will pull it out and look at it... all the specs are the same.. PC/Mac....
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 6:31 am    

something interesting....the I mac uses a 200 pin memory... which shows to be like a Lap Top memory...
any comments??
Joe Harwell

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 9:36 am     Double Post

I have no idea why this double posted.
It could have been my evil WinTel machine Evil Twisted !

Since Mac has left its Motorola architecture
and moved to the Intel design,
traditionally pc components will work.

Mac's way of competing.
This is a move to be MS compatible, also.

Last edited by Joe Harwell on 19 Oct 2007 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 2:06 pm    

That's right, David. It's the same as laptop ram. On an iMac, there is a small door on the bottom of the computer where you can access the ram. There are two slots, one will be occupied, the other empty. Be careful with the screw, it's easy to damage the head if the wrong size screwdriver is used.

If ram is installed in matched pairs, there will be a small but measurable performance increase in certain applications that address memory in a particular way, but It's not absolutely necessary that the two modules match. I added a 2G to the existing 1G, and it works fine.
Sean Ray

Madison, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 7:23 am    

It's a personal preference but I too have never heard of a mac user switching back to a PC though I imagine there are some hiding out there somewhere.

I use both platforms at work but use a mac exclusively for my personal endeavors. I find them more intuitive and easy to work with. Some people are reluctant to learn a new OS but the learning curve on a mac is usually overcome in a matter of hours or days depending on deep you dig in.

Computers are like cars; they all breakdown eventually but from my experience the macs tend to run a bit smoother.

If do you make the switch from windows to a mac you certainly won't miss those annoying balloons popping out of the system tray. Wink

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2007 1:56 am     The Mac has been ordered

Thanks much to everyone for their input to this thread. I ordered a 20" iMac with extended warranty this morning and a Samsung laser mono printer. By ordering the printer with the Mac I'm getting a $100 rebate on the printer. No more inkjet cartridges for me. The order will be shipped Monday or Tuesday and I'll have it in four or five days.

Jude

Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2007 10:56 am    

Good deal. i think youll like it. If you ever have any questions give me a shout.
Joe
Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 8:41 am    

Well i've managed to get onto the internet with the new baby and find The Steel Guitar Forum. Obviously or I wouldn't be here. Smile Now if I can figure out how to get my email account going on Outlook Express I'll be alright.
I think I'm going to like it very much. Catch you later, I've been playing with this thing since about 10am and it starting to get hungry outside. I think a trip to the Colonel's in order.

Jude

Sean Ray

Madison, Wisconsin
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 4:04 pm    

I doubt you'll find Outlook Express on an iMac but you're sure to find Mac Mail. Wink

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2007 4:26 pm    

You're right, I'm still thinking Windows. I've finally got the mail sorted out, for awhile I could receive but not send.

Jude