| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ohio: Wow Terry Crisp and Herby Wallace !!!!!
Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 5:54 pm    

I have now added Terry Crisp and Herby Wallace to my Steel Guitar Show!!! So excited about that this is Terry first time there.For those of you who do not know Terry has worked and recorded with Ricky Skaggs,Reba,Joe Nichols,John Conlee,Connie Smith, and many many others,to me his recording of farewell party with Joe Nichols is one of my all time favorites solo's ever he is a good friend and great player. He will also be bringing his wife CHRISTY , who is a great singer and piano player.Sunday Oct.7 2007. more info check out other topic about show on forum or call 937-746-4444 thanks Chubby Howard
Ken Crisp

North Carolina
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 7:18 pm    

Terry Crisp ?

Who Dat ???

Winking

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 11:19 pm    

Didn't Joe Nickels let Terry Crisp go
when he turned 50.
I am pleased to hear that Terry is still pickin', grinnin' and doing well, but I don't hear much about Joe Nickels these days.
Karma, maybe?
Brett Crisp

NC
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 2:08 pm    

Andy, Yes they did let Terry go when he turned 50. Its a shame cause obviously Nashville is interested only in age and not talent...Joe still owes Terry for a steel that the roadie busted up...He still does play every Wednesday night at the Stage down on Broadway with Christy..
Corky Anderson

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2007 2:17 pm    

It saddens, and angers me that Terry Crisp was let go from his job because he turned fifty. I met Terry back in 1989 at a big outdoor festival in Calgary Alberta. He was a real nice guy, and I was more than happy to lend him my webb amp for his show with Ricky Scaggs. You will have to go a long, long, way to find a better steel player than Terry, and I refuse to support any artist that is cold enough to fire a player of Terry's calibre for such a petty, shallow reason!

Carter D-10 NV 1000/400 Lexicon Mx 200

Tele.....twin.....boss pedals
Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2007 5:41 pm    

bump
Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2007 10:58 pm    

Robert G Anderson wrote:
It saddens, and angers me that Terry Crisp was let go from his job because he turned fifty. I met Terry back in 1989 at a big outdoor festival in Calgary Alberta. He was a real nice guy, and I was more than happy to lend him my webb amp for his show with Ricky Scaggs. You will have to go a long, long, way to find a better steel player than Terry, and I refuse to support any artist that is cold enough to fire a player of Terry's calibre for such a petty, shallow reason!

Tele.....twin.....boss pedals

Anybody ever thought that maybe it wasn't Joe. Maybe Joe just delivered the message.
Charlie St Denis

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 4:15 am    

I USE to like Joe Nichols. I have 4 CD's. Guess
I won't be getting anymore. I'm planning a trip
to Nashville just to catch the Timejumpers and
to go to the Stage on Broadway on a Wednesday
to see Terry's group do some pickin.

Charlie
Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 6:03 am    

Tommy, are you saying that Joe
is just a sideman in the group?
Who do you think the leader is?
-and then there is the issue of the busted steel.
It's like Ronny Hawkins used to say-
"You have to save your money up for those good gigs!"
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 9:36 am    

Who really knows what the reason was - anyone here? I'm not going to add to the random speculation, but it's certainly possible that pressure was exerted at management level - it wouldn't be the first time.

I don't buy more than a tiny handful of country CDs these days, but Joe Nichols - excellent singer that he is - is on my 'short list'. He's one of the few with any real chops.

Terry Crisp is, of course, one of the very best out there. I saw him a couple of times with Ricky Skaggs a few years back, and he's an exceptional player who had me scratching my head and wondering just how I could have gone so wrong in trying to play this instrument!

Let's hope that the cream - as it has a tendency to do - will rise to the top, and that he lands a good gig very soon.

RR
Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 10:21 am    

Andy do you think that Joes ownes the label he is on. Do you think the artist actually does everything they want to or do you think they have to take direction just like every other employee.

Take Gary Allen for instance... He let his guitar player and his steel player go at pretty much the same time. They had been with him for years man.

Terry had been with Joe for a long time and I am sure they were friends.

Do you actually think these artist woke up one day and said okay my guys are getting too old I am firing them. No I dont think so. Probably more like OMG they want me to fire one of my guys... What am I gonna do !!!! OMG I dont wanna do this !!!!!

Every artist has to answer to someone unless they own their own label or they are just flat out SUPER STARS like Garth, King George, or Reba. I am not saying that an artist cant fire someone. I am simply saying that sometimes an artist doesnt have a choice. It's kinda like being a manager of a store and the owner coming in and telling you what to do. The owner can do that cause its his store, just like the powers that be can tell THEIR ARTIST what to do... who to fire ect.....

I've had a few issues myself with this B.S. state of mind here. I didnt get a gig once because the other steel player was from L.A. and he dressed like a rock star. Another gig I didnt get because the other guy was younger than me. Had nothing to do with talent... It was "THE LOOK"

I am not taking up for any one person here... Artist or Musician. I wish I could change it. It's not fair to put your heart and soul into an artist and end up unemployed, and it sucks to just have the frame of mind and say to your self "Well Thats The Way It Is And Theres Nothing I Can Do About It" Thats just simply giving in. One person cant change it. There are just soooo many musicians out here waiting to crawl over the other to get to the top. Call it competition, call it determination, or say its for financial reasons. Who knows. Anything is right if you can justify it in your own mind right... LOL !!!

As far as the guitar being busted up... Well all I can say is that..... That situation will be worked out. Kinda like when Garth smashed a guitar on stage... Well he just walked over and picked up another. In this case I am sure it was a grave loss. With all guitars they get close to our heart but no one is with out work due to lack of having equipment in this level of the business. Equipment will be provided.

Things are not always as bad as they seem.... even though no everybody doesnt make an effort to be the best person, boss, musician, employee, ect they can be. Life goes on and you cant make people do right no more than you can push YOUR will off on the next man. If you are good enough at what you do, you will keep doing it.

Again I am not taking up for anyone person nor am I trying to get in anyones business. Getting FIRED, Getting LET GO, well that sort of thing happens in this business. I was raised to give an employer an honest days work for an honest days pay. I would never dream of doing anything to get fired. Well i learned in this business... your gonna get fired, and getting fired from a gig aint such a bad thing. Nothing to get sick about and sit home wondering what happened about. Just go on to the next one. I've been fired before and had another gig before I got home. I dont like it but it kinda seems to be the norm and you get used to it.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 10:45 am    

We seemed to have hijacked this thread, don't we? It's also about that wonderful player and human being, Herby Wallace.

I haven't seen Herby for far too long - ever since I moved from NC down to Naples, FL, in fact - but I hope I can put that right before too long.

Best wishes to you, Herb - I hope you're doing well!

RR
Tommy R. Butler

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 12:36 pm    

Roger you are right. I apologize. Seems to be a touchy subject here in town and rightly sooo. We just enjoy our instrument and always want to rite the wrongs of the biz and take care of our friends...

Hope the show is great. Chubby is a Derby man as is Terry. Now if we can just get a Herby Wallace model Derby we might convert Herby too... Oops ... Thread robbing again...

Okay... Hope the show is great. Wish I could be there. Will be on road with my boss Doug Stone. Maybe next time.
Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 7:17 pm    

You are welcome anytime Tommy take care of Doug! Your friend Chubby Howard. DERBY'S RULE!!!
ebb

nj
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 7:28 pm    

vince gill hired john hughey a long time ago when john was no spring chicken and vince wasnt yet a superstar. who do you think sells more records
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 3:16 am    

Hey Roger,

You are so right about Herby. Great guy and what a player. I am fortunate to be asked to play drums on alot of steel shows and it is always a treat to get to work with Herby. In fact, Herby is the one who got me started doing the shows when he asked me to play a show here in SC with him. Herby, if you are tuning in here, I've probably never really thanked you as I should have. Through the shows, I've gotten back in touch with so many of my old Nashville friends, and made so many new friends in so many new places. Thanks.

As for the other matter, it shows how much the business has changed since my road days. I guess I'm showing my age, but in those days, the artist decided how big of a band he wanted to carry and who he wanted to hire. Oh well, new time, new game, new rules.

Chubby, have a great show. How can you miss with that lineup.

See ya soon,
Jim
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 8:05 am    

ebb wrote:
vince gill hired john hughey a long time ago when john was no spring chicken and vince wasnt yet a superstar. who do you think sells more records

Ebb,

John's records sell very well at all the steel shows, but I'm certain that Vince sells more. Laughing
Jory Simmons

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 4:43 pm     It Happens everywhere

Even here in the Heartland!!!!!! I was in an award winning group here in Wi, "The Bottomline", And the Bandleader/Drummer, got Rid of the whole Band to start a group called "Chasin Mason".......when I asked was I to be included in the new group( cause I was the only steeler around, anyway, I was told NO....because I was too Old ( I was 52 at the time) and nobody over 30 was going to be in the new Band!!!!!! Well, He's gone now also!!!!!!!Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jory Simmons on 5 Oct 2007 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corky Anderson

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 6:13 pm    

Actually, Tommy you are right in what you say about the Biz and how it works with Record Companies. It works that way in every level of this racket and it has happened to me. It's the way of the world unfortunatly. I think Terry has showed us all how it is done with the hits he has taken over the last year or so. He's still out there.....still pickin!

Terry Crisp and Herby Wallace....does it get any better???

Tele.....twin........boss pedals
Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2007 1:05 pm    

2 MORE DAYS!!!!!
Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 3:53 pm    

c u 2morrow!!!!!!!!!!