| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic

Day setup or Emmons setup, Which do you prefer??
Day setup
27%
 27%  [ 24 ]
Emmons setup
67%
 67%  [ 58 ]
You can play both Day AND Emmons setup
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 86

Author Topic:  Day setup or Emmons setup?? Which do you prefer and why??
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2007 6:46 pm    

What setup do you prefer, and why?

I play Emmons, but mostly because that's the way my first rig came, and my mentors encouraged staying like that, so that's what I learned on. I have also played Day setup briefly, and was surprized I got along with it, too. But 99% of my experience playing pedal steel is Emmons setup.
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2007 7:29 pm    

Emmons,,

I've had nothing but Emmons set ups on all my steels, it's what I'm used to.

That's my only reason, I'm sure we will hear some other good reasons for one or the other. Very Happy

Larry
Bert Berthold

Peralta, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2007 7:39 pm    

Day,it's what I started with.
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2007 8:10 pm    

My left ankle was left kinda crippled from a wreck long ago.
My ankle likes the Emmons setup.
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2007 10:05 pm     Pedal set up.

I use the T.S. set up.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 2:23 am     Day & Emmons

My first 10 years I played Day set up. I switched sometime around 80' or so to the Emmons because I could rock to the outside quicker than the inside for speed pickin'. My pedals have remained Emmons but my KL set up changes from time to time, when ever I want to have something a little different.
Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 2:39 am    

Emmons. Again that's what I started with and I'm comfortable with the rocking action on and off of the A pedal. At my age, turning my ankle in without straining can be a little challenge.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 3:16 am     setup

In 1979 I started learning to play pedal steel. My first guitar came with the Emmons setup and I have stayed with it. Either way I go, I figure I am not going to play like Emmons or Day regardless of how the guitar is setup.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 3:20 am    

I play "Day". For me, the ankle rolling inward feels far more comfortable. The "Day" setup also puts the most used (A&B) pedals closer to the center of the guitar, and that helps the comfort aspect too. I have to admit that some of the uhh..."contortions" I see a few players go through to hit certain combinations seem rather unnecessary, because their guitars are not being set up for maximum comfort.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 3:47 am    

Day - far more comfortable on the ankle of the two, especially when using the Eb & F levers. But its what you get used to. Both get you to the same destination. The downside of the Day setup is that the majority of pedal steels are set up in Emmons mode and its not so easy to play these guitars.
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 4:27 am     Humm?

I used to play the Day setup, but changed to Emmons with a universal 12 I had one time. I think I really like the Day a little better, but I am not going to change back again, it took me a week to get used to the Emmons & I am too old to switch again!!

Ernie Pollock Oh Well
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 4:40 am    

'Day' for me. It's how my first steel was set up, so I didn't question it (why would I?)

Over the years I've tried the 'other' method, but believe that, ergonomically, 'Day' is easier. My only regret is that 90% of steels that I encounter are set up wrong ( Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ) so I'm unable to sit down at one and enjoy a different guitar.

I do know that I'm in good company - TW has his guitar set up right!!!

Smile

RR
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 5:44 am    

Emmons. My first pedal steel was a Fender 2000 and it had the Emmons pedal setup on it for E9th. Also, the Sho-Bud instruction book used the Emmons pedal setup so I started and stayed with the Emmons setup.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 6:47 am    

My first steel was a ShoBud with the Emmons setup and I've stayed with it. I see no reason at my age to change.
Don
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 6:50 am    

Emmons because my first guitar was set up that way.

Maybe some of you would agree but the way I see it,is that we read left to right so pedals arranged in A,B,C etc. follows that same pattern which seems more logical than CBA.

In the end,to each their own.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 7:31 am    

But Dick....

That's because 'Emmons' is more common - THAT's why the 'ABC' code is applied to that set-up. If 'Day' was the predominant lay-out then CBA would actually be ABC, and we'd all be regarding the C pedal as the one that raises our two B strings to C#....

Smile

RR
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 7:35 am    

I roll both ways, so can't see how either system is more ergonimic than the other. On my uni, for blues, rock, jazz and classical, I spend a lot of time in minor keys with the side of my foot on the A pedal. That seems easier with the Emmons system, but that could be just because that's what I'm use to. Also, in B6 mode, the most used lever is my 8th string lower to D, which gives a IV9 chord (pedal 6 on standard C6) and is used as much as the AB pedals on E9. With the E lower that gives the B6 mode on RKL, it is easier to squeeze the left knee in also for that IV9 change than it would be to hold both knees over to the left. Again, that could just be what I am use to. Mainly I stay with the Emmons system because of the convenience of feeling comfortable with the way most pedal steels are set up.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 7:42 am    

It may just be me, David, but it's easier for me to lift the inside of my foot without moving my knee; if I try to roll the foot to my right, my knee involuntarily moves right with it.

That may of course just be Roger R's personal ergonomics... Very Happy

RR
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 7:56 am    

'cuz it's what I play Winking
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 8:04 am     Day

I like the Day Setup because of my knee surgery. I play both. What is odd is Julian Tharpe and Zane Beck both played the Day Setup on the Floor but vary a little on the knees. I have reversed the Right knees on the ZB Setup because of my knees as well. For the ZB setup with Zane's las copedant he went into E9 by using Right Knee Left. To me that is awkward if you play E9 more so than B6. I switched back to his first setup which reversed this. The knees naturally want to go out anyway so for me to E9, just let the right knee go to the right and I'm there.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 8:10 am    

Well Roger did you ever think that maybe that was the way Jimmy got his first guitar so he had to learn that way um-kay?
Ken Crisp

North Carolina
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 8:43 am    

Emmons. Cause I can rock the B pedal on the inside of my foot easier. For me, makes single string fast pickin' and riffs a little easier.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 9:12 am    

It was my understanding that it's called 'Day' 'cause he invented it. I rather think that JD's first guitar - whatever it was - didn't have any pedals at all.

Am I missing something here?

Confused

RR
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 9:51 am    

Hey Roger,

It was a joke.

Everyone here has said "that's the way I got it so that's how I learned" and I was making a joke about Jimmy getting it that way and learning it like we did.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 9:56 am    

Sorry, Dick..

You'll have to excuse me - I just missed a four-foot putt and lost a match on the 18th green. Everything seems a little out-of-kilter ever since. I'll be better in a day or so....

RR