| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ''Steel Guitar and Martial Arts ''
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 6:08 pm    

How many steel guitar players do or have done Martial Arts ? If this has already been here please forgive me ! For myself at one time i was a tournament fighter . Then i was doing the Shorin-Ryu style . Afterwards i went into the combat arts called Burmese Bando . This is a great style and great people to work with . It isn't a commercial style that you can charge students for . When i got into it you had to be invited or someone had to know you . At one time it was a blood initiation type of thing . Then that changed because of the things you can catch from this ! Then i went into the Chinese arts of Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung-Fu . I was a referee at most of the tournaments around here . I also was a referee for the A.A.U. Olympic Qualifyers . At one time i was teaching ''Full Contact '' kick boxing and had around 20 students . My basement was my ''dojo''. Anyway enough about me now lets here from you . Best regards , G.P.

Last edited by Gary Preston on 24 Sep 2007 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 7:29 pm    

Yeah, well, I'll bet I could still whup you at rock-paper-scissors...
Herbie Meeks

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 8:06 pm    

Never got into that
But I was told ,The Steel bar in my hand
worked better than the old roll of nickels trick
never used it that way, but kept the advice
in mind while playing some of the
Old Skull Orchard Joints.

HM
JamesMCross

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 8:30 pm    

I earned my 1st degree Black Belt in American Tae Kwon Do on the same day I played my very first paid gig as a steel guitar player, March 28th, 1998.

I had a 4 1/2 hour test that afternoon, which included 4 rounds of proving my technique against the 4th degree master, then drove 90 minutes up to Lake Conroe and played an outdoor gig on my brand-new Remington S12.

Coming up on 10 years ago now....
Tamara James

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 8:35 pm    

Shotakan and Tae Kwon Do - total of 7 years. Never got a black belt. Didn't want it. Some Tai Chi.
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 8:51 pm    

In my younger days I did some Kenpo. No black belt. It was 30 years ago. Was it green or brown? These days I have found a Tai Chi Chuan teacher who is the real deal. I've been at it pretty heavy for over 6 years now. I'm told I'm doing very well. But I'm frustrated with the level of my push hands. It's coming along very slowly.
In case this counts, I was one of the better wrestlers in the southern division of the state during my high school days and did some Jr. Amatuer boxing as well. No real skill at that. But I was in such good shape that I just outworked most people.

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 11:11 pm    

I'm a black belt Origami Shocked
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 11:13 pm     MA

Started early with the boxing thing then moved into kenpo later on. After that I studied several different styles due to the fact I handled violent folks on a daily basis for over 20 years. One good point about martial arts, any form teaches people to think on there feet. Being able to think ahead of many of the folks I had to takedown over the years really saved my rearend on many situations. It also usually prevented serious injury to anyone. I highly recommend martial arts for anyone, provided they do it for self defense and exercise. Those who try to learn it to hurt others usually find themselves staring down the barrell of a weapon or in jail or sometimes worse. I don't like violence but I do support the martial arts that involve the right kind of people.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 4:45 am     belt

I wear a black belt throuth my belt loops. Does that count? Seriously, I wish that I would have studied the martial arts and most likely will put my children in training for self defense.
James Schroeder

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 5:03 am     Martial Arts

In my teen years I did Golden Gloves boxing, When I was Korea serving in the army, I started Judo made first degree black belt. Then Tae Kwon Do got my interest and made 4th degree black belt. While in Japan I studied Oyama Kyokushinkai Karate making 2nd dregee black belt and was a Oyama branch instructor for most of 17 years that I was an instructor.
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 6:35 am    

Smile Thanks guys . We never know who we meet along lifes pathway do we ? One thing i always taught my students is to be kind and never be an instigator of anything that would bring on a fight . This is not what the martial arts is . Again thanks for your input . G.P.
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 8:01 am    

Gary you already know from my website "Martial arts" section. Many many years training, graded and teaching. Never ever looked for trouble, but my knowledge had stood me well in some of the rougher joints I played over here in England. So many Steel players were/are into it, including the big "E" and Ron Elliot

Micky Byrne United Kingdom www.mickybyrne.com
Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 10:55 am    

I might as well add my 2 cents worth. I study Ed Parker Kenpo and have been an instructor for almost 20 years. Black III, maybe IV soon.

Marvin
Fred Wright

Minocqua, Wi USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 1:14 pm    

Learned Judo with 1st Marine Division, Korean War. Now hold a First Degree Black belt in Kenpo, Karate, and Ju-jitsu.
Glyn Bone

Halifax.Nova Scotia. Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 2:17 pm    

Did Shaolin Kung Fu and Wing Chun Kung Fu also Wu Style Tai Chi...took up the martial arts to improve my co-ordination,fitness, concentration and stamina and reflexes as I was heavy into open wheel motor-racing at the time...no gradings as that was not my goal but learned a lot about myself along the way.....haven`t done any martial arts for about 30 years now...am seriously thinking about going back to doing Tai Chi if I can find a reputable school nearby. do you consider 67 too old ? I don`t Smile

Carter SD10 4x5 with Wallace TrueTone ( 18K ohms)
Peavey NV 112
Hilton Vol.Ped.
Brad Sarno 'Freeloader'
Boss/Roland SE-20 Space Echo
BJS `Hughey` bar
BJS 1" bar
Zookie thumbpicks
Dunlop and JN finger picks
Will Hart

St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 3:02 pm    

Congratulations Gary on your years of diligence and community involvement. I have a 25yr practice in Tai Chi. Probably makes me a white belt beginner.

Best, Will
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 6:53 pm    

You're never too old for Tai Chi Chuan. Go to it. But do find a good teacher. I've found them to be pretty rare.

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 10:46 pm     Karate

Mad I learned from an ex navy frog man as they were called back then.
But it was really no use to me because even before i got into the sport no one could whip me if they fought fair.It isn't fair to run some down then whip them.
Frederic Mabrut

Olloix, France
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 11:32 pm    

I've practised Judo and Wado Ryu style karaté as well as some full contact during the seventies and eighties. I've practised Kendo as well during a 2 years period. I'm now practising Yoseikan-Budo for 12 years and managing a club of more or less 50 students.
You had a great idea to post this thread, Gary!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2007 2:56 am    

My wife has a black belt in shopping
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2007 5:50 pm    

I started a four year study of Shotokan under Master Teriyuki Okasaki and his protege Mr. Kazaka as a college freshman earning a brown belt. At the same time two years of Kendo with Koji Shimada getting my butt whupped. After graduation I studied Tae Kwon Do with Master Richard Sand and his staff instructors from the Phila. School of Korean Karate earning a 2nd degree black belt. During that time I was an instructor there and at one of the local colleges. The PSKK was a hybrid version that took techniques from any style that worked including full contact and kick boxing.
Later I studied Tai Chi to get into a softer style.
I still stretch and do kata and forms for exercise.
Martial arts are a great way to learn to focus, gain balance and power and learn to relax. It also taught me how to practice.
I stopped studying and decided to get involved in more "sociable" sports about 15 years ago then decided that none of that was helping my playing technique.
Now I lift weights at the local gym, ride the stationary bike a couple times a week and play pedal steel.
The only drawback to those years is the daily physical pains I have that are the result of injuries and joint instability due to stretching.
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2007 2:01 pm    

Smile It's very interesting to see how many fellow steel players that do Martial Arts these days . I stopped teaching in 1998 . I suppose that i took it really serious because i trained in ''mind control '' also . This training taught me how to stop pain . I also did the ''Chi'' training . This is what makes someone have the strength that they didn't know they had ! Meditation also was a big part of my training . There is a lot that goes along with the Martial Arts system if you get real serious about it . Thanks for your input . Best regards , Gary .
Ian Finlay

Kenton, UK
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2007 2:21 am    

Did some years of Judo, then nothing for a few years, then a few years of Aikido. Nothing for a while though - just too busy!

Ian
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2007 4:55 pm    

Sad The biggest thing about Martial Arts is the long hours of training . I trained at least three days a week and sometimes more . G.P.
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2007 5:48 pm    

I studied Issinryu and Goju-Shorei on and off for about 20 years but I don't play steel any better because of it. I hand to quit when I hurt my fingers.
I was playing music full time at the time and couldn't afford a day off.

Ben