| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tremolo bridgeplate deburring bits
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 6:23 am    

On a standard Fender-style tremolo, most of the string breakage doesn't happen at the saddle, but on the sharp edge of the hole coming out of the plate up to the saddle. I recently bought some bits that are known as "piloted countersinks" or "counterbores". They look basically like a countersink with a short 1/8" diameter drill bit extended out from the middle for centering. Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide" goes into detail about using these for bridges on pages 99 & 102. You can bevel the edges of the bridge plate holes with a needle file and sandpaper wrapped around a knitting needle or something, but these drill bits will do in 5 minutes what it takes a P.I.T.A. hour to do the other ways. (I tracked these down because I'm building a new 7-string and I got SO VERY TIRED of doing it the dimwit handjob way). Erlewine also recommends using them to sharpen the edges of the pivot holes on a six-screw, Fender, Gotoh etc. vintage-type tremolo plate. In a hand drill or chuck, they're also good for cutting the countersink on home-made pickguards or enlarging the cone on pickup mounting rings for larger screwheads.

It's hard to find these except in a sized set - in order to buy exactly the one I wanted I had to buy ten of the same. I'm going to keep three, but sell the rest off for $6 each including shipping. Paypal, check, M.O. are all fine. Erlewine pictures a double-sided "#4 counterbore" but these are single-ended with a 1/4" shaft to go in the drill chuck, still with the rubberized anti-rust coating. If you want delivery confirmation, insurance, excessive bubblewrap or a blessing from the Dalai Lama, it'll cost more, e-mail me and we'll work something out. This is the closest picture I could find that is seeable (not exactly the same though):
Piloted countersinks