| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel with Reba
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 1:11 pm    

I saw Reba singing "Fancy"? on a news show this morning with a huge band behind her . The steel was way out front and sounded great , he had a bit of distortion going on ala Sneaky Pete . Anyone know who this player is ?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 1:21 pm    

I wondered if it was Bruce Boughton - I haven't seen Bruce in many years now, but there was a similarity.

It was remarkably well-mixed, unless they were pulling the wool over our eyes and playing to a track.

RR - (my apologies for misspelling Bruce's name - I KNEW it was 'Bouton'... Embarassed )

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 20 Sep 2007 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Harlan

Hydro, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 2:56 pm     From what I was

From what I saw he was using a lap seel of some kind behind the steel (on his lap) and from what I heard, it was going thru a heavy duty fuzz tone of some kind. As always it was a great sound and performance. She wowed them I'd say.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 3:03 pm    

Yes. The steel-player did the first song on his mahogany-coloured Carter, then switched to a lap-steel for 'Fancy'

Anyone know who it was?

RR
PS: I can't say that she's one of my favourite singers, and her remarks re: all the camaraderie with her band struck me as a bit insincere. I don't know what it is, but there's something phony about her.(like she'd care what I thought!!! Very Happy )
Larry Scott

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 3:47 pm    

Last i heard Bruce Bouton was still with her
Larry Scott

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 3:50 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Yes. The steel-player did the first song on his mahogany-coloured Carter, then switched to a lap-steel for 'Fancy'

Anyone know who it was?

RR
PS: I can't say that she's one of my favourite singers, and her remarks re: all the camaraderie with her band struck me as a bit insincere. I don't know what it is, but there's something phony about her.(like she'd care what I thought!!! Very Happy )

That's what happens when you become a star and show up on Ophra's TV show Winking

Last edited by Larry Scott on 20 Sep 2007 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry Scott

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 3:51 pm    

Confused
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 3:52 pm    

It was Bruce...

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 9:09 pm     Steel with reba

That was in fact me playing with reba and no, it was not a track.It was as live as it could be.That band is made up of all session players. That band was put together a few years back. One of the reasons that it is still together is that Reba and her husband treat the musicians with a lot of respect. i would like to believe she is sincere when she aknowledges us on national tv. Most of us have recorded with her at one time or another. Plus we all like each other and hang out together when we can. Reba's a pretty busy woman these days but when she's able to hang out she's one of the most down to earth people you would ever meet. Whether you like her singing or not she is a bona-fide superstar .Fifty million records, TV , broadway. I've got a lot of respect for her.
BB Very Happy

Last edited by Bruce Bouton on 23 Sep 2007 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 10:22 pm    

I like her sit-com a lot,She seems like a natural at acting.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2007 11:43 pm    

She's certainly achieved a great success over the years, and that TV performance on GMA was impeccable.

It was silly of me to mention something that's no more than a fleeting impression and is clearly unfounded. It says a lot if the musicians involved feel that their contributions are appreciated, and that the respect goes both ways.

When one considers what morning TV sometimes throws at us, I should be more appreciative when I'm treated to a thoroughly professional and musical piece of work - especially when there's a good steel-player in the band Smile ....

I apologise for my negativity.

RR
Vic Lawson

White House, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2007 8:41 am    

We played a show with Reba back in July and it was great! I was @ front of house for most of the show great mix, the whole show was awesome. Bruce and all the band were fantastic. Bruce was direct but didn't sound like it at all. Again great show and great steel guitar!

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2007 4:18 am    

For whatever this is worth, somewhere around 1995 or 96, I was working as a service tech with a large commercial/industrial HVAC firm. My partner and I were frantically trying to get the 2000 ton air conditioning chillers running in the colesium in Winston Salem, NC.

Reba was in concert that evening, and it was somewhere close to 90 degrees in the colesium. Everyone was ill, hot, sweaty, and not very happy.

I heard a voice, looked up, and it was Reba, in person, toting 2 glasses of lemonade. She gave one to me, and one to my partner and thanked us for our hard work. All this, even before we had the system running. (we eventually did get it cool in the colesium for the show)

I thought that this was a very sincere act, and will never forget it. A classy lady indeed!