| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  RE: Jim Sliff
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 3:07 pm    

Jim Sliff is a man of strong opinions---I think ol' Jim got off to an awkward start, trying to find a proper pedal steel, and no one to help. But to see ANY Jim Sliff post as a reason to start an argument, is raw ignorance. He did raise a ruckus about Sneaky's plaque in the HOF, and who knows---He may have been instrumental in getting it changed.
Bro. Herb Steiner did a stand-up job explaining what happened, and for that, we owe the Herbster a "thanky, Herb." I can't speak for Sneaky, nor can anyone else here---See, he's DEAD! So whether or not he'd have been angry, amused, or whatever, doesn't matter, at least to me. I WILL be glad to see the plaque corrected, since this "Hall of Fame" thing is SOOOO important to some folks.
Mike Perlowin, your comment of "STFU" was TOTALLY uncalled for. You have placed my name on your email list, and I didn't ask you to. But I go ahead and read your self-promotions, since they're there.
Folks this Forum needs to lighten up! There's folks arguing in the "For Sale" section, for crying out loud! Stop hollerin' at Jim (BTW, Tim Harr, I thought it kinda harsh that you got the last word in in your thread, then pleaded that it be closed. Poor sportsmanship.), and stop asking the same questions over and over! Wear shoes that fit, play with OR without fingerpicks, and it doesn't matter where the "Franklin pedal" is located---If you've got it, you'll get used to it. Buddy Emmons is the best pedal steel guitarist that ever was, or ever will be, but he doesn't want to waste time teaching your kids how to tie their own shoes!
I like almost everybody on this Forum, and I want to meet you all someday---Shoot, I even learned to like Eric---tuning comments and all.
So cool it, OK?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 3:13 pm    

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 3:54 pm    

I'd also like to say a word in defense of Jim.

The whole Sneaky Pete/HOF thread got pretty silly. Jim gets his back up once in a while, and sometimes takes things too far, yet I find him to be a valuable member here. He was surely not the only one getting excited on that thread, even though he seemed to be shouting the loudest...

Jim is one of few members who has any real knowledge regarding electronics beyond 'buy a Peavey and plug it in' and ALWAYS answers posts seeking advice in where applicable. Every time I've had a question about tube amps and related issues, Jim gives a lengthy, thoughtful and readable response, whether on the forum or by email.

I don't know Jim at all, other than on the forum, but it would be a shame to see him go, occasional heated posts and all.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:03 pm    

Jim's observations were legitimate. Herb Steiner, you are the peace maker. Thank you.
ebb

nj
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:24 pm    

the steel guitar is growing up. scotty was hugely responsible for its maturation. the web is hugely responsible for its future. we are a family and as such are as disfunctional. no one should assume the mantle of its legacy including scotty or anyone else on the "nominating committee" who seem to nominate each other to this hof. its all meaningless beyond this wonderful forum that b0b has given us to air our family dirty laundry over
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:26 pm    

Well Steve, I'm on the fifth read of the Shelby Foote Civil War RE-Education Trilogy Program you sent me postage paid, and FREE, and I've Come around..

I no longer idolize William Tecumseh Sherman.

He was a Red Headed Manic Depressive.

And he sure burned the Hell out of that place to end the southern thirst for secession for a couple hundred years...

I have come to the realization, that It's not that I can't change, it's just that I can't change and still remain what I am.

I'm not this way by accident, although I've incorporated a few into the totality..
In other words: it means that I've made the best of the things that have happened along the way, and some of those things changed me.

I like people that don't ask a person their opinion before offering their own and "testing the waters".

I don't necessarily dislike people that do, but I just don't pay that much attention to them.

I like Jim S, his opinions, and especially his guitar and Fender Amp Expertise, though it's probably the kiss of death for any chance of him getting a discount on a New Millennu.. Milenne..

Well, you know...

Smile

Friendly Happy Little Eric.

Last edited by Eric West on 12 Sep 2007 6:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:36 pm    

I first ran into Jim on the Clarence White forum and we went at it a bit on the Palm Pedal VS Pull String issue. I didn't much care for him.

I then ran into him on this forum and we bonded over our love for Fender steels and Sneaky Pete. He has become a valued online friend who has helped me with my Fender needs and at times sent me parts that I needed for free.

He types better than most, so at times he tells you more than you may care to know. I try to stay out of heated debates. Some people like to mix it up. If you want to know him better ... send him an email. You just may find a friend like I have. Smile

Russ
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:41 pm    

I think my statement was entirely appropriate.

People have feelings, and I have strong feelings when people I care about are attacked and abused. Herb and I have known each other since 1961. He and I played together in the first band either of us played in.

He is family.

Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 12 Sep 2007 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ebb

nj
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:47 pm    

Quote:
The reason Sneaky Pete was inducted into the HOF this years was because HERB nominated him

that is why the hof is meaningless. bob maickel has had sacred steel players on his show and scotty recently created a jazz room. that is meaningful
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:56 pm    

I will make a correction to MIke's previous post, since edited, and to the quote referenced in ebb's post: I did not nominate SP, but I did elaborate on his contributions to the board.

Carry on.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:59 pm    

Hey, Perlowin, I have NOTHING but high regard for Herb Steiner. Your comment WAS inappropriate, as was your suggestion that Jim Sliff take up another instrument.
See, I've said from day 1 on this Forum, that people will say a lot of things via keyboard, that they would not say to a man's face. I look forward to meeting both Herb AND Jim. I consider both of them to be men of honor, who wouldn't resort to cute little childlike abbreviations on the web. Why don't you email Jim Sliff, and tell him to "STFU?"
Jim has become a self-educated pro as regards Fender cable steels, knows his electronics (ask Ken Fox), and is willing to share his knowledge---
WITHOUT OVERDUBS!!!!

edited to add:
Eric, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 5:06 pm    

Shakespere, you da man.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 5:18 pm    

Stephen, I'm not going to get into a flame war with you.

I'd much rather spend my time here talking about music and steel guitars.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 5:25 pm     Warning

Speaking as a MOD:

No personal attacks allowed.
If this strays away from a "Steel Player" discussion it will be closed.

Thanks for your co-operation.
Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 7:42 pm    

The more you get to know someone, the more you understand where they're coming from. As I mentioned to a fellow steeler about Jim not too long ago, if you had read the thread on what people take to gigs in their seats or little suitcases, it was almost comical and unbelievable what Jim Sliff packs with him. He's very meticulous, leaves no stone unturned, waits for no surprises, and expects the unexpected (which might be redundant, but it furthers my point). He's just one of those guys who expects professional results in a professional setting. And he apparently enjoys (or feels he deserves) getting rather upset from time to time!

But I like Jim, too, and have learned a lot from him, though he seems to know a little something about EVERYTHING (like my brother-in-law), but I can't prove he doesn't...

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 9:24 pm    

Well not liking to miss a good dogfight, I finally forced myself to read the thread.

Looks like the growing pains of a relatively new instrument.

Lots of Inequities,or is that Iniquities..

Lots of them in the SGHOF get or will ironed out with the passage of time.

I've been playing one for 30 years, more than the median, and I'm told by one guy near the top, that I don't know how to tune it, although I tune it like the guy AT the top.

Then the dogfight ensues. At least a thousand pages..

I win, of course, but by the time it's done, I'm sorry, IF I pay much attention to any of it, I ever played any of the three thousand some gigs I played with it, and toy with playing another instrument myself..

God doesn't select players to the SGHOF.

It seems to have been done by an imperfect network of well meaning, and necessarily semi-self appointed men, that chose and choose the Enshrined Players from methods that range from Inescapable and Overwhelming Inevitability, to series' of back room deal, politics, and strategic removal or plain old outliving of blackballing board members and "I-don't-know what-all" as Andy Griffith would say....

Most of the time they get it right. Sometimes it's been downright pitiful IMHO.

Still it's better than Rolling Stone, or Guitar Player deciding.

Lots of stuff gets mis-spelled.

Too bad when it's on a plaque unless somebody can fix it.

I liked Sneaky Pete.

It's about time.

I like Jim Sliff for sticking up for his major accomplishments being spelled correctly. A person should stick up for what they believe. Even if they don't know all the finer points of it.

I try to. Even when I don't.

Nothing worse than the tyranny of enforced tranquility.

Wink

Happy Friendly.... Well, Mostly..

Little Eric
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 10:02 pm    

Most Steel Players I have known really have a great sense of humor as do most musicians I think because of the cynical situations we seem to get involved in playing live music.
I think sometimes on the forum, people attempt to have some humor in their postings and the written word just does not come off the same way as face to face thus people can take things the wrong way. The voice inflection, the humorous looks and body language most times does not seem translate to the written word.

Learning to post on the forum is an art unto itself. I know I got pounded a few times when I first started posting on the forum until I became aware of how and what to post.
There are a lot of valued forum members who share a great deal of information here including Paul Franklin and Buddy Emmons and at the risk of leaving names off of a list I’ll leave it there. Also, just regular everyday garden-variety types also provide great information too.

I hope guys like Jim and Herb continue to post on the forum often. I actually enjoy reading the strong opinionated personalities points of view mainly because they are steel players that bring a solid foundation of information but mostly because it’s interesting and refreshing to hear someone speak their mind in a otherwise political correct world.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 10:45 pm    

Eric---What in the WORLD are you talking about Muttering Muttering ????
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 11:25 pm     Re: RE: Jim Sliff

Quote:
and it doesn't matter where the "Franklin pedal" is located

Yes it does. It matters to me. I payed my membership fee and can ask any question I want. If you dont like it, ignore it. Dont reply to it. Move on.

Dont make people feel inadequate for asking a question. And please spare me the "use the search function" line. The search here dosent allow you to search by topic only.
Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 11:58 pm    

Come back Shane!!!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 12:33 am    

Marc Jenkins wrote:
The whole Sneaky Pete/HOF thread got pretty silly.

Boy that's the understatement of the year! Wink Glad I didn't get involved in that one.

All that ire and animosity...over a flippin' typo?!

Unbelieveable. Alien
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 1:58 am    

Quote:
The search here doesn't allow you to search by topic only

That's correct, BUT, a "Boolean Query" narrows the field somewhat.

Basil (The one with the Vitriolic Pen)

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 2:29 am    

Well this is going down the spout pretty quickly it seems so I had better hit the BUY IT NOW BUTTON before the auction is over...

Stephen, my buddy, I believe is just saying " Lighten up" it's an open forum with folks from all over the planet typing and offering opinions, one way or the other. And I believe at the end of the day what he is saying is "Use some common sense and thought" before you hit the "submit" button, thats all.

Any one of us a on any given day can pretty much take any thread and beat it up. Can we, ? Sure we can...Should we ?
NO, of course not.

Many here take everything so personal...

there are several here that on a regular basis start threads that to me are just begging for a poke in the eye, but for the most part, they DO NOT get poked.

Each of us has a process of communication and are quite steadfast in what we want to say...but that doesn't mean we should, because at the end of the day, this is just an internet forum and in the scheme of things it's better to "DON'T WORRY .. BE HAPPY"

I purposely stayed out of the Sneaky Pete Plaque thing for one primary reason, I didn't want Scotty to hear anymore talk, I saw the plaque, noticed the error and knew he would eventually fix it, no big deal, Pete is STILL in the HOF.

We have so many issues on this forum that folks talk about ..
which strings
Emmons vs Day
no 4th sting lower
Franklin Pedal
Carter starter
Push Pulls
Not Push Pulls
who tunes to what
which pack a seat is best
how much do you charge on a gig
I won't go to a gig for less than xxx
What amp is best
the 112 is all ANYONE will ever need
You play too loud
You don't play Loud enough
My Tele's better than yours
I don't mind waiting for 2 years for my new steel
UPS broke my steel
buy my new CD
I'm a newbie, let me give you advice
etc etc etc..

Any or all of these topics are OPEN to any interpretation and on any single day each of us or any of us could really have a field day with some of them, and we do...( not me though, never )

Restraint...

Sure, Sneaky Pete's plaque caused some grief, but would it have been better if there was NO Plaque ?

Each of us may be experts of something in our own minds , but I guarantee, thats where it ends.

each of us may believe we are completely right on every topic in our own minds , but I guarantee once again, thats where it ends.

Except for me of course..I'm an expert on everything, and I have proof ..

just ask my wife !

chill, Don't worry, be happy..

It' startin' to look like one of those Conservative vs Liberal Forums around here...

Kramer...

ps,
regarding EMAILS..I'm in a new school of thought these days..I delete them all, unless I know they are coming..I can't tell the difference anymore between the guy sending his kid to my house for lessons from Timbuktu or the guy playing a gig down the street.

sorry..
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 2:42 am    

If you ever have the opportunity to have a conversation with Jim via private Email, you will find him to be very cordial and not acerbic at all.

I enjoy engaging him in a good debate when the occasion arises. That is what makes the forum interesting. Plenty of opinions.
Al Collinsworth

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2007 3:35 am    

This made the second year in a row that Mr. Sliff felt it was important to dampen the good will and friendship generated at the St. Louis Show. If only he had attended the show and given everyone an opportunity to meet and talk with him.