| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Crawford's P/P's
Bruce Hamilton

Vancouver BC Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2007 10:59 pm    

In the 70's Jimmie would buy basic Emmons push pull guitars from the factory and build custom guitars usually with 10x10. I am curious as to where those guitars actually ended up. I have only seen one since then I have never seen one come up for sale on the forum.Do any forumites have them? I know they must be exceptional guitars and the owners probably really treasure them.
Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 3:25 am    

I have a P/P with 10/10 (Crawford Cluster) from the 80´s, so I don´t think J.C. built it.

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 6:07 am    

Horst,
I had a Emmons of that color with the 10 & 10 pedals that I sent to Scotty's in St Louis and he sold oversea. That was one of my favorite guitars but because of money problems, I had to sell it. The guitar came from the factory, built that way.

Mike Jones
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 6:20 am    

I have a 1971 lacquered Emmons p/p that used to belong to Doug Jernigan.
It came from the factory with 11 footpedals!
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 6:32 am    

I had a friend in California who years ago ordered a guitar from Jimmy which was a S-12 on a double body. It had the crawford cluster and 6 pedals on the floor. There were 5 on the left side and one pedal right next to the volume pedal which did something to the first and second strings..........JH in Va.

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 7:22 am    

Mike,
maybe that´s the steel you sold. I bought it from a steeler in Germany.

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 10:55 am    

I am the owner of a Jimmie Crawford built P/P 10x10. The guitar was originally built for a friend of mine who was close to jimmy. Upon the advent of the JCH, he sold this guitar to me. While not initially fond of the set -up with the C6th pedals reversed to what I was used to, as well as the D as the second string, I eventually got used to it. What I will tell you is this; this guitar is an extremely smooth player, and sound-wise, has the most even timbre fron high to low, of any guitar I've heard. The high strings have body, and the low strings have great clarity. I don't know if JC sorted through P/Ups 'till he found just the right ones, but but this guitar has "that" sound in spades. The P/Ups meter out at 20K for both necks. I know it certainly isn't me, as when I play my '76 P/P,The same sound is not there. I don't believe any P/P could sound better, bolt-ons included.( I know I'll get it for that last staement.) Regards,JL
James Gennrich

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 1:33 pm    

What Jim Lombard is saying about his Emmons Crawford 10x10 is true. I listened and played it next to my old Emmons P/P and mine was muddy and had 20k pickups in it also. I listened to a lot of Emmons steels through the years and this is the BEST Sounding Emmons I've ever heard..... Jim PS Hi Roy
Bruce Hamilton

Vancouver BC Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 3:10 pm    

In the late 80s I traded a Super Pro for an Emmons P/P(8x9) that was put together by Mac Acheson and Charlie Ward. The pickups were really full sounding compared to the other push pull guitar that I have. I decided to unwind them a bit but after taking about two winds off the wire broke and I couldn't find the end of it. As I looked closer at the pickup the wire seemed to be all over the place. I phoned Mac and he gave me the name of the person who wound pickups for him. When I phoned him he explained that he was scatter winding the pickup and further he was supplying pickups to everyone including Jimmie Crawford. He claimed that Jimmie swore by them.Your pickups are probably wound by this same person.
Dan Galysh

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2007 4:35 pm    

I still have the 9x9 that he built for me in '81. I would like to refurbish it someday.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2007 4:32 pm    

Yep, my famous ole' '71 number 1554-D that I record everything with and play more than anything was purchased and built by Jimmy in 1975. The cluster and all pedals and knees working both necks.
Love it? It has no price. About the only thing I have that doesn't have a price. I even sold my last wife and won't take her back.
Jimmy took 7 months to rebuild it, not unusual for him, This guitar has required zero maintance over 32 years, a testamony to P-P guitars and to Jimmy's work.