| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need basic B6 grips and chords
Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2007 11:44 pm    

Can someone (U-12 players) post the basic, most used B6th string grips and what pedals (pedals 4-7)they are to be used with, and what chord is given by this.

Something like str.4,5,8 no pedals = 1 chord, str.4,5,8 AB pedals = 4 chord, etc. except for B6th instead of E9th.

I want to learn all the basic chords of a harmonized major scale: Maj1,min2,min3,Maj4,Dom7,min6,dim7, as well as any other nice extended chords that the B6th's pedals were designed to give.

Also, if someone is able to post any pentatonic blues scales in the most commonly used places on B6th, I would appreciate that also.

It seems like that's alot to ask for, but any bits and pieces you can give will be helpful and appreciated.

I'm planning on getting an E9th/B6th course by Jeff Newman in the future, but it can't hurt to learn some
new stuff in the meantime. I have a C6th chord manual by Jerningan School that I was hoping to adapt to B6th, with no luck. That is why I'm reluctant to get more C6th books and try to adapt them to B6th, although I have no trouble adapting the regular E9th instruction to my U-12 E9th.

The copedant on my U-12 is the one on the SGC web site and can be viewed by clicking below:
view U-12 Copedant

Thank-You. I have already learned alot from your posts on this forum.
Jacek Jakubek

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2007 12:51 pm    

I will not be needing the B6th info anymore, but it would be good to post some tips for other U-12 players.

I'm in the process of converting my U-12 into a custom S-10 E9th and that's why I will no longer be needing the info on the B6th tuning.

I'm trying to simplify my guitar because the number of strings and pedals was overwhelming.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jacek Jakubek on 9 Sep 2007 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2007 1:19 pm    

I would like to know them , please
Jacek Jakubek

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2007 2:14 pm    

One really cool sounding thing that I managed to figure out using the B6th pedals is the following:

from your E9th no pedals position, go 3 frets up and engage your E-lever RKR + pedal 4, strumming from string 12 down towards the thinner strings. This will give you a nice, earth-rumbling 5 Dom7 chord, then move this chord 2 frets down for a 4 Dom7 chord.

This chord sounds earth rumbling because pedal 4 lower your fat B string 1 and a half steps and you will feel your walls/windows rattle when your amp is turned up a little louder.

Ex. blues progression in G:

Str 5--------------------------6------4
Str 6--------------------------6------4
Str 7--------------------------6------4
Str 8--------------------------6(E)---4(E)
Str 9----3-3-3a3a3-3-3a3a--6(4)-4(4)
Str 10-------------------------6------4
Str 11--3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3----6(4)--4(4)
Str 12-------------------------6(4)--4(4)

Play the part on fret 3 for a few bars, then strum on fret 6 for one bar and go to fret 4 with same chord, and then back to the part on fret 3.

Another thing is to strum the chord with the RKR+4 and alternate pedal 4 with pedal 5.

Playing the chord with pedal 4 on fret 6 will give you a D chord, changing to pedal 5 will give a C chord. This is alternating from 1-4-1-4-1-4 chords.

I don't think it's true B6th playing, more like mixing B6th pedals with E9th. But it sounds really jazzy and funky. Nice for blues.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2007 4:21 pm    

Jacek, that's a good example of the versatility of the Universal tuning. Got any more like that? Smile
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2007 6:23 pm    

If you want instructional material on the B6 mode of the uni, Jeff Newman's site has that, also Joe Wright. Other than that, most uni players just use C6 instruction material with the understanding that there is one half-step, or one fret, difference. It's no big deal.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2007 2:55 am    

That's very true, David. My question concerns the combined use of E9 and B6 pedals, though. There's no teaching material covering that aspect of the Uni 12 that I've ever seen.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2007 1:04 pm    

Oh, that's different, and way more interesting. Gotta run now, I'll be back latter with a bunch of stuff on that. But you can start with a post I made here: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=116858&highlight=