| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Audio file of me playing jazz guitar with my trio live
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 8:53 pm    

Here's a link that will take you to my brothers website where there's an audio file of me playing jazz guitar with my old trio live in Brooklyn NY. The tune is "Will You Still Be Mine".

http://www.ivanshefrin.com/mikesmusic.html

Last edited by Mike Shefrin on 2 Jan 2009 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave Biller

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 9:29 pm    

Mike, i just wanted to be the first post to tell you, superb guitar playing, my friend. i first heard that tune on Howard Robert's "good pickin's" album and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. you are tearing it up! and you pretty much nailed Randy's "Flower" intro as well. (Randy and i have a pet name for that tune, we call it "Difficult Kind of Flores" Wink jazz guitar and country steel, you're my kind of guy!! dave
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 9:50 pm    

Thanks Dave. I've only been playing steel for a year now. Well, that's not entirely true-I actually started playing steel for a year and a half about twenty years ago and then gave it up completely to concentrate on six string jazz and classical guitar. I also just started using fingerpicks to play steel three days ago and am getting used to them after trying to play with my nails which I finally discovered didn't give me the tone I wanted and also hindered my ability to play fast. Playing with picks sure makes a huge difference and I'm so glad I finally decided to use them. I see you're from Texas. Man, I sure wish I lived in Texas. You guys have the best steelers in the world down there. One day I'm gonna really have to go down there to hear some great music and meet some of y'all.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 10:46 pm    

Mike, that's just great. Dave's right, you be tearin' it up. HR was a dirty guitar player, but so are you, and that's a good thang. Smile

[translation for anybody that thinks that last sentence was some kind of insult - it was the highest praise.]
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 2:34 am    

Thanks Dave. I remember when Howard Roberts came to Berklee College to give a seminar to a packed auditorium of young guitarists and music students like myself. When he finally arrived and walked onstage wearing dark sunglasses, he sat down and kind of rubbed his head for a minute or two. Total silence...and then his first words to us were "Anybody out there got an aspirin?".
In his day he was one of the best and busiest studio guitarists on the scene. They say he could sight read just about anything you put in front of him. Maybe that's why he had a headache? Muttering
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 6:19 am    

Hey, that's some great pickin, Mike. I had heard you were good, but you're better that that. I love it. What guitar were you playing? Love the B-3 too, one of my favorite instruments.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 6:29 am    

Thanks Mike! Bot really great clips!!!
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 7:09 am    

Whoo man, thats my kind of pickin'. What guitar and amp were you using? Sounds great.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 7:44 am    

You will be OK once you learn how to play Whoa!
Outstanding Mike!
Earl Erb

Old Hickory Tenn
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 8:04 am    

Mike, outstanding. My guitar teacher gave me a copy of "H.R. Is A Dirty Guitar Player" when I was about 15 or 16 and that got me hooked.
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 8:20 am    

Thanks alot guys. I'm overwhelmed by all the nice comments here. For those who asked, I was playing my 1978 Gibson L-5 s wound with heavy gauge flatwound strings through an old Clarus 1R amp into a small Raezer's Edge cabinet with an 8" speaker. This is a nice setup for gigs since the Clarus is about the size of a cigar box with 250 watts, delivers a great sound for the jazz guitar, and is very light to carry around. Below is what my L-5s looks like.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 10:32 am    

Mike sent me a CD of his playing. He plays jazz guitar as well as anyone you would ever want to hear. Great tone, great technique, great ideas.
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 11:08 am    

Thank you Bill. I still love the CD of your bass playing which you sent me awhile back. You are one of the greatest bass players on the planet, and I'm sure you are probably great at all the other instruments you play also.
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2007 10:52 pm    

Hi Mike,
Thanks alot for posting that, I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a wonderful tune too. I was always so overawed by Red Garland's version that I never sat down with it to toss it around. Maybe now I'll do that. Great playing.
A quick story: A trombone player friend of mine went to New York to take in the scene. He ended up at some Monday night jam where he played and met a bunch of musicians. Sitting at the table, some more introductions were made...
"Hi, I'm Peter, what's your name ?"
"Howard.. pleased to meet you."
"Nice to meet you too Howard. And are you a musician ?"
"I play a bit of guitar..."
"Cool. What's your last name ?"
"Roberts..."
{embarassed silence}

-John
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 5:36 am    

Awesome playing Mike! I'd like to hear you and Dave Biller "lock horns"! Another excuse for you to come down to Texas!!!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 6:06 am    

I have three of those Acoustic Image amps, a Coda, Clarus, and a Focus. They are amazing little amps. I've played steel, electric and acoustic guitars, mandolin, and bass through them and everything sounded great. Mine are all the Series II's, I tried one of their Series III amps and didn't like it nearly as good as the older ones.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 7:54 am    

Thanks again everyone!

John Steele- I love Red Garland's version of "Will you still be mine" from the Prestige record "Groovy". It's funny you should mention it since I used to play along with his version of that tune to help build my uptempo chops, and I used his version as a model for my own uptempo version.

Tommy Detamore- When I come down to Texas, the first place I'll go will be San Antonio. I'm going to try to come down this year or after January, and I'll be sure to look you up when I do.

Darvin Willhoite- I agree with you that the older Clarus amps sound better. I use one with my steel also. In fact that's a Clarus I'm playing through on the Different Kind of Flower intro audio I posted here. I like the Clarus just fine but am currently in the market for a Fender twin for my steel.

Thanks again to all of you for all the nice compliments. You guys are the best!
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 1:11 am    

I have been enjoying Mike's jazz album for sometime now.
Chacha likes it too, and she isn't normally a jazz head,
but she hums a long with it.

Nice steel licks too.
It shows that good theory can take some of the time
out of the learning curve of picking up the steel.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 7:35 am    

Thanks David, and my belated congratulations to you and Chacha on your wedding. Wishing you both health and happiness.
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 9:53 am    

Smile

Last edited by Mike Shefrin on 2 Jan 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 8:55 pm    

Thank you back! Smile

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Tom Zielinski

Buffalo, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2007 9:06 am     hot guitar!!!

That was some great playing, I would love to hear the CD if its for sale.

If you are a HR fan, "yahoo groups!" has a section called jazz guitar, you can download HR superchops book on pdf for free (someone there posted it). Pretty inventive, wish they would release more of his earlier albums on CD.