| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Flying with my frypan?
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 12:16 pm    

I've done a search, but for some reason, I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I recall a thread on this topic a while back, but can't find it.

I'm flying from Florida (Tampa) to Madison, Wisconsin tomorrow night, and want to take my Frypan lap steel and Microcube. I'm planning on putting my MC in the suitcase surrounded by clothes, and I fully expect they'll open it, think it's a bomb (since they won't know what it is), and close the airport for several hours, initiating a chain reaction that will disrupt tens of thousands of lives all over the country and world. That's OK. I get that... Rolling Eyes

What I'm wondering is, will they let me take the steel on the plane with me to put in the overhead? The case is one of those fiberboard faux-alligator things that are shaped like a ukulele case, but longer and skinnier.

Anyone had recent experiences with getting their lap steel on the plane as a carry on item? Will I have to give it up at the gate, and hope it makes it there alive? The airline is Northwest, btw...

I don't have an ATA flight case or anything like that, unfortunately, that I can use. Would I be safer buying a small guitar gig bag to put the chipboard case in, and just check it?

Thanks!
TJW
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 12:37 pm    

Hi Todd,

When I fly out of Detroit it's typically on Northwest. Northwest is very instrument friendly. In the past 3 years I have easily brought into the cabin and stowed in the overhead a ukulele case, a rectangular lap steel hard case, a ukulele in a tennis racket bag and my archtop guitar hard case. Yes... my archtop guitar hard case.

I also stow my battery powered amp in my suitcase - which get's checked with the baggage. It is always inspected by the TSA and they leave a note in my suitcase. The Xray looks fishy when they scan it.

I never ask permission to bring these instruments on board. I just act like I know what I'm doing when I give them my boarding pass. Smile!

A UkeTone Recording Artist

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Hawaiian Steel Guitar/Ukulele Website
Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 2:32 pm    

Todd,

I flew on Northwest on a number of occasions to Joliet and recently to Indiana. Had no problem with a lap steel in the over head. I would leave the picks and bar in regular luggage however.

A hardcase is a better idea than using a gig bag if you have one. You never know if some moron will come along and toss their heavy carry on's into your instrument breaking off a tuner or so. Whoa!
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 2:37 pm     Cool

Thanks for that info, Gerald. That helps a lot. I think I'll just do as you said, and act like I carry my steel with me all the time, and that it's no big deal. I'm glad to hear that NWA is instrument friendly. I'm shocked that they let you bring an acoustic on board. I saw a college kid bring a rectangular Fender Strat case on and put in the overhead once, but that was pre 9/11. Since then, it's just been stupid..

Yeah, I fully expect they'll open my checked suitcase, and hopefully, they'll be able to get the amp re-packed correctly.

And I'll remember to smile! Smile

Thanks.
TJW
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, A6); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Custom-made 25" aluminum cast "fry pan" with vintage Ricky p'up (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); 1953 Oahu Tonemaster; assorted ukuleles; upright bass
Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 5:05 pm    

I went to Hawaii and back in '06 with a Superior Weissenborn. Northwest. Never mentioned it and it was not an issue. Stored in overhead. A frypan should be a breeze.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 5:54 pm    

I usually take my frypan to Hawaii, because it's lighter than my bakelite, which I brought along only once. No problem with Northwest Airlines.

BILL
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 6:20 pm    

I have flown Northwest, United, Southwest, and Hawaiian Airlines with instrument in hand, all without incident.

The airlines all are used to instruments being brought aboard, just as long as it fits in the overhead.

Well even my 38"x 24" x 8" gig bag (keyboard gigbag) for a double neck Magnatone, has cleared at least 10 flights. I even leave my bars and picks with the instrument, as well as tuner (which could be questionable but never is), and cords. On my last trip I carried this gig bag and another steel guitar which I had bought at Aloha Intl Steel convention, so now there were two instruments carried aboard.

No mo worry, Todd.

Aloha, Smile
Don
Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2007 3:34 am    

I have flown many times with my melobar and a PX-3/MP3 player & headphones and though I get a lot of strange looks because the TSA person has probably never seen a lap steel I get right through.

Actually, I have had more problems with the bar than the steel. Pack the bar, picks etc. in your check-in. Remember, nothing but the steel and maybe a rag in the case.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2007 4:49 am     TRICONE ONBOARD

Todd, I brought an old National Style 1 onboard a year ago (United Airlines) and they looked it over and asked what it was. I took it out and played a few bars and they quickly had me put it back in the case. Guess I did not impress anyone with my playing. I ALWAYS get questioned about my BJS bar though. Fortunately, it's never been confiscated.

Gerald is correct too; never ask permission & look confident. Rolled my Williams keyless onboard this year...quickly when noone was looking. When I have been stopped near the plane entrance, I always remind the stewardesses/stewards that my guitar is in no way similar to a howling baby. Usually they grin and let me continue. Good luck, steve t
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2007 5:44 am     Tone Bar

Interesting that it's the bar they always get wigged out about. I guess to them, it looks like it could be some kind of (albeit very dull) weapon.

Since I use regular old Dunlop JB bars, I'm not too worried, even if they did confiscate. They're cheap and easy to replace. I think that I'll still put the bar in with the checked luggage though, which will contain my MicroCube amp in the suitcase.

My initial main concern was having my steel with me (and in a case that's not an ATA style case), getting to the gate to board, and having them take it to check it, in it's regular old chip-board case. It's the not knowing what they'll do that makes me nervous.

It's comforting to know, however, that y'all have been able to get your instruments on board without much difficulty.

Thansk again!
TJW
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2007 6:16 am    

I've had a bar confiscated in Orlando, not long after 9/11.
Joseph Rush Wills

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 12:06 pm    

Interesting discussion! I haven't flown in years, but if I did I'd pack my bar and picks in the suitcase. Wouldn't want to lose a bar; mine were custom made for me by a friend.
Alas; while the morons are busy confiscating an American steel players bar, they'd pass Rasheed right through...
Gary Stevenson

Northern New York,USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 7:10 pm     lap steel to China

I am glad to see Steve, you have no problems get your steel in and out of china.I hope to be returning to China and want to bring a small steel with me.
Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 8:54 pm    

One more tip: if the airline makes noises about checking your instrument as baggage, ask to gate check it. That lets you carry it to the gate, giving you a second chance at carrying it on.

Worst case you end up gate checking it, which means it will get a lot less handling than normal baggage.

And don't fly Delta with an instrument.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2007 4:37 am    

I agree on Delta. I asked about the agreement with the airlines association and the musicians union and was told, Yes you can carry on any instrument you want, As long as you buy a seat for it ! ! So much for Delta..
I have a friend who uses a SKB drum trap cae with wheels. He carries it on and puts it in the overhead.
He does check the legs and pedal board in a large luggage. I hope I never sit under that overhead in rough weather.
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2007 5:23 am     Update...

Well, I'm happy to report that I just did as Gerald suggested, and acted like I carry my steel with me all the time, and that it wasn't any big deal. Northwest is definitely instrument friendly. But, if there had been any issues, I was ready to point at about 30 people who had carry-ons that looked to be the size of regular suitcases, and about four times the size of my little lapsteel case! About twice the size of that little box with the sign that says "Carry on luggage must be able to fit in this space."

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

TJW