| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  listeners VS dancers
Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2007 9:32 pm    

I don't dance. I go to a place to "hear" a band. Dancers, on the other hand, won't go to a place where they can't dance. I invited some people I know to go with me to hear Marcia Ball. They love blues, but they wouldn't go because I told them it's a non-dance venue. It's like an alcoholic who won't go anywhere he can't drink. I don't "get" this. Can someone explain why a person wouldn't go to hear a great group if they couldn't dance to 'em?
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2007 9:58 pm    

For a lot of people I know that are into dance, it's all about dance and its social aspects, and mostly not about music. Music is just a vehicle to set the stage for dancing. If they like blues, swing, or country, for example, it's because it's a good vehicle for the type of dance they prefer or the crowd they prefer to dance/socialize with. It's probably not a lot different than people who only go to a club to see and hear a band, and wouldn't be caught dead at a karaoke or DJ dance-mix event.

Perhaps some of it is also a sense of hostility to the notion that dancing is suppressed. Why do musicians get so angry that some clubs and club patrons prefer DJs, karaoke, and dance-mix kind of stuff? I think this is why a lot of bands can't stand line dancing, for example. Bands have a vested interest in having people come that are centered on them, and wouldn't come if they weren't there. Reasons could include ego, worry about job security, or just preference for a listening type of crowd.

I just see all this as people who are centered on their own thing, perhaps with a competitive attitude towards people with competing interests.

My opinions, of course.
Dayna Wills

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2007 10:09 pm    

I have a gal pal who is a singer/dancer. I have gone to clubs where she goes to dance even tho I don't dance, just to watch the people dance. They usually have a DJ. I guess it's as you say, just personal preference. I still am of the opinion that clubs shouldn't mix different formats. Example: I sing at a place where they sometimes put me in the dining room. I have asked that they not do that for two reasons: 1,It is not set up for music and there is no place to put a speaker that isn't in someone's face, and 2, in the dining room, people are stuck with me whereas in the lounge, they come because they want to. Have a specific night for whatever the format is, but not Karaoke on live band night during breaks. That's what a jukebox is for.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2007 6:16 am    

Some people (like those dancers) like to just "hear" music, while others want to really listen. You can pay full attention to the music when you slow dance, but any fast dancing stuff just saps all your concentration.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2007 8:46 am    

Dayna,Alaska is the only state where the AA has a two drink minimum. Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2007 10:02 am    

I am one of those who would rather sit and listen than get up and be bumped around on the dance floor.

Maybe it's my musician's ear that picks up all the little intricacies of the band that ruins a good dance for me. That is to say the consistancy of the tempo, the smoothens of the band’s blending and delivery and of course the tiniest mistakes. All of this is on my mind as I dance so possibly that’s the reason I would rather sit and listen to the music than to dance with it.

Nothing throws me for a loop more than trying to dance to an old time waltz that has a tempo that’s half way between an old time waltz and a polka. Some band members just can’t “feel” the tempo while they play!

Damn, I am glad I am perfect. Rolling Eyes
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 10:58 am    

I like to take my honey out dancing. That said I prefer to go somewhere they have a live band and support live music and will stay & dance unless they can't do the job properly.
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 1:06 pm    

After playing guitar for 50 years and playing steel for almost 30 years, I consider myself a listener. I always tend to listen to good steel or guitar parts. I hardly ever notice the words or names of tunes, sometimes. I also find myself to be too critical of other players. But, that's just me and I keep it to myself almost always.
On the other hand. My wife and I have been out to Tucson, AZ for the last 8 years and have enjoyed every time. We have friends, who, like to go two stepping a lot. I've learned to two step and I think it's really cool. Lots of people on the dance floor, all wearing hats and boots, dancing to country music. I get a big kick out of it. The only real drawback is that the bands play too loud. Way too loud ! If you happen to pass the sound system, it's really deafening. I don't understand the need for all that volume. You can't even talk at the back of the club comfortably. Now this comment is coming from a seasoned club player, not your habitual complainer. IMHO
Dayna Wills

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 1:18 pm    

John De Maaille,
I listen to the singers(I steal) What you said about not knowing words or titles: A friend of mine insisted on playing my CD for a musician friend of hers. The whole time he kept asking who was playing what. It really hurt my feelings that he wasn't even listening to ME!
About that volume level: Yes. It's always too loud. I notice it especially in Texas. Reminds me of the teenage armory dances.I can't tell if the singer can sing cause I can't hear the voice, let alone the words. I want to hear the individual instruments when a player takes a ride, but when the overall volume is too loud, I can't hear ANYTHING. It's just a roar. I don't understand why a band would want to run off their meal ticket. There is one band that is so loud, I heard them once, and I won't go back. And they're friends of mine!
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 4:21 pm    

Well, for me it all depends on the music. I mostly prefer to play in a place where people can dance. And I grew up loving to dance to live music. I certainly listen while I dance. I am highly flattered when I'm playing in a band that moves an audience to get up and dance. But of course there is some music that is not very danceable, and is just meant for close listening. I like both kinds.

The loudness is another issue. I stay away from the front in loud places, and even stuff earplugs or paper napkins in my ears. I have played with bands and in clubs that expect it to be way too loud. It's just the style in some places and with some types of music. Many players and sound people are partially deaf, and don't realize how loud they are to normal people. Never be afraid to protect yourself.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 6:58 pm    

The biggest problem for most bands in clubs is the PA. I try to get the mids and highs up as high as I can get them so they are not ripping peoples ears off.
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Dayna Wills

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 11:34 pm    

Insurance: Club owners always say they are not responsible, but it's what the LAW says that counts. If you play a sit down job and leave your stuff there it is prudent to check the law and what the owner really is responsible for. There is a place right now that only has an alarm system in the lounge, but not in the dining room. The player is a member there and knows that, so he puts it in his contract that he doesn't have to move his stuff when another band plays there.
Money: I don't know what the going rate is here these days, but it was $60.00 a night, per man. Once, severaal years ago I hired out at a Moose doing a single for $200.00 for 4 hours. For $40.00 more they could have had a 4 piece band. Go figure.
Too Loud: I always carry ear plugs and use them. Most players are not offended when they see them cause they wear'em too. Sometimes WHILE they're playing. I saw leroy parnell at Cain's in Tulsa and he was wearing "ear monitors" in both ears. I asked him how he liked them and he said without them he would be deaf and mute.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 4:13 am    

A burglar alarm might save your stuff from a thief, but it won't do anything to stop a fire or a flood. If it's valuable, you oughta take it home. There's so many variables with insurance..."actual cash value vs. replacement cost", "proof of loss or ownership", "only original receipts or certified appraisals will be honored", etc. All that stuff tells me they really don't want to pay you, and if they do, they're not gonna make it easy or fast.