| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Debashish Bhattacharya clips
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2006 4:41 am    

I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Debashish a few times and as I've watched him sleepily fry an egg and make a cup of tea, it was hard to imagine I was with one of the world's greatest musicians. These clips prove I was.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 11 Nov 2006 8:38 am    

Wow.

I recall seeing Shakti in the 70's. But this is better.

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Red guitars sound better!

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2006 3:01 pm    

I heard him on the radio today on the college station that plays a very wide assortment of things. He is great. Hope to get to see him sometime.
Mark Utting

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2006 10:43 pm    

That was wonderful. Any idea of how his Dobor is tuned? Does he use the same thumb and finger pick set up "we" use?

Mark
Dan Sawyer

Studio City, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2006 8:47 pm    

More cowbell!

Seriously, i wish the tablas weren't so loud, but it's a live gig and you can still hear Debashish.
Larry W. Jones

Longmont, Colorado
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 2:03 am    

Here's a writeup with a lot of info:

The amazing world of Indian classical music has accepted quite a few instruments which have their origin out of the country. One of them the Hawaiian guitar. Though its sound is no more a stranger to the listeners of Hindustani music yet in its early days, acceptance was a major problem. But today classical ‘stars’ have brought glory to the modified instrument and celebrity-hood for themselves throughout the world.

Not branding it as any veena of a sort, guitarist Pandit Debashish Bhattacharya is on a mission to conquer the world with three new modified versions of the Hawaiian slide guitar. For the newer soundscapes, Debashish calls his new creations as- ‘Chaturangui,’ ‘Gandharvi,’ and ‘Anandi’.
Born and brought up in Kolkata, Debashish had his schooling in music from right at home. Born to musician parents, Pandit Debashish Bhattacharya was initiated into Indian classical vocal, but he picked up the guitar and got hooked by its musical appeal akin to vocal due to its ability to glide. “I have never come across any single negative aspect to ponder why a slide guitar cannot be the leading instrument of Indian raga music. “But unfortunately there was not much example or goal set before me on this planet to perform on slide guitar,” says the young maestro, who started exploring the capabilities on the Hawaiian guitar at the age of four.
[u]The slide guitar was introduced to this country through Kolkata in 1929, by Tau Moe from Hawaii.[/u] A deft musician in Madame Riviere’s Hawaiians, a Polynesian music and dance troupe, he arrived in Kolkata and shared his culture with many curious musicians of all styles.

This was just the beginning of a cross cultural exchange that eventually gave birth to a new sound in Hindustani classical instrumental music. The foremost exponent being Pandit Brij Bhusan Kabra of Ahmedabad under whose tutelage Debashish has shaped his ideas in experimenting with the new genre of playing Hindustani music on the Hawaiian guitar. Since 1975 Debashish has been playing the guitar with resonating strings attached to it. That was indeed a beginning of accepting an idea that eventually gave birth to three new slide instruments.

In instrumental Hindustani classical music, though every instrument has its own nuances and limitations yet playing the “gayaki” or vocal style remains the ultimate goal. With his trinity of guitars album-3: Calcutta Slide-Guitar- going for a world premiere in London this May, Debashish was the perfect creator to talk about this. He says, “ I am trying to get to the root. The sitars and sarods have taken the music from the vocal and then associated it with their own abilities and disabilities.” A designer artist, Debashish has designed 19 slide guitars since he began experimenting in his 20s, and the three guitars heard on his latest album -3: Calcutta Slide-Guitar are all his individual designs. Amongst the three, says Debashish, ‘Anandi’ is a baby which has all the potential to adapt styles from Indian to Oceanic blues to Hawaii, Flamenco, Jazz, Afro-Cuban and a host of other genres.

Isn’t it true that new instruments bring newer scepticism? Debashish negates confidently saying that the trinity of guitars is the ultimate form of the Hindustani slide guitar adopted over the years in India. He already has quite a few students in the country and abroad who are learning on the new instruments.

------------------

Kingwood Kowboy
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 9:05 am    

DB is playin' a free concert in Paris next Saturday 18th Nov

Samedi 18 novembre

Musik from Northern India
concert w:
Debashish Bhattacharya, guitares
Subhasis Battacharya, tablas
& Christian Ledoux, tampura,
15:00h, Mairie (Town Hall) du 6ème
78, rue Bonaparte
75006 Paris.
Salle des fêtes. Entrée libre.
(concert réalisé en accord avec le Théâtre de la Ville).
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 11:32 am    

Tau Moe did indeed introduce steel guitar in Calcutta. One of his pupils and one of my earliest influences, Garney Nyss, recorded "Moana Chimes" and "St Louis Blues" on a shellac 78 rpm which as a ten-year-old I repeatedly played until it grew thin. There are a few "hawaiian guitarists" in that part of India. Batuk Nandy is one who made at least one CD and he has a particularly nice tone. There are others.

------------------
kay