| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does this one pass the sniff test?
Richard Shatz

St. Louis
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2006 3:12 pm    

Auction on eBay.

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 03 November 2006 at 03:43 PM.]

Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2006 3:44 pm    

Definitely!
But the case might not . .
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2006 3:49 pm    

1939 Gibson EH-185, if I'm reading Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars correctly. It's hard for me to tell the difference between the EH-185 and the EH-275.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2006 5:19 pm    

1939 EH-185 IS correct, I have one.
Baz
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2006 12:02 pm    

I loved this guitar. I had the exact model back around 1952 era and stupidly sold it. This is the EH-185 (7 string) ... not many were produced. Grab it and enjoy.
Tighe Falato

South Plainfield, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2006 5:27 am    

Brad,
Per Gruhn (and a conversation with Walter Carter) the 275 only came in a natural finish, had multi-colored fret markers, tortoise shell binding and the ES-300 pickup. The 185 came in a natural option and also used the ES-300 pickup at one point during its production run so they can look pretty similar. I've occasionally seen a "custom" 185 in natural with the upgraded fretboard but without the tortoise shell binding and ES-300 pickup. If you go strictly by Gruhn's description of the ES-275 did not use the Charlie Christian pickup only the ES-300. I'm fortunate to own two 275s with consecutive serial #s no less. Besides my Rick B6 with factory wood carved plates the 275 is the best looking steel in my collection hands down. Both of mine are 6 string versions and Gruhn states they made 7 & 8 string as well. Now one of those would be a real rare bird!
Richard Shatz

St. Louis
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2006 5:04 pm    

OK Tighe give me some help here please,
Gruhn's Guide 1st edition says the EH 275 was introduced in 1940 with a CC pickup and the ES300 pickup came along in 1941. The 2nd edition makes no mention of any 275s with CC pickups only the ES300 type.
Both editions agree that some 275s were produced with dot neck inlays (like the 185)and that all 275s had tortoise shell bindings, whereas the 185 and 185N had white triple bound top and backs.
So, I guess my blond one with tortiose shell binding, ES300 pickup, and dot neck inlays that I always thought was a 185 is really a 275. If that's the case, is it even more rare than the one with the fancy block markers and colored fret markers?
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2006 2:40 am    

looks like it sold at quite a reasonable price
(fer nowadays of course)
Tighe Falato

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2006 6:11 am    

Richard,
Sounds like you've had a holy grail all along - CONGRATS! I'd be curious to know the FON to see if they are from the same series. Both of mine are 1940 (F1162-3 and 4) by the "F" letter code. I believe the 2nd edition of Gruhn's clarifies the actual 25 that are listed in the shipping ledgers. Perhaps the first 6 that were designated as an EH-250 had the CC pu since the ES-250 used one? A good question for Gruhn/Carter! My understanding is that the model used the ES-300 pu which was introduced in 1940.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2006 2:28 pm    

I'm thinkin' that '39-'40 was a transitional time as far as pickups are concerned. I have a Grande Console D-7 that has CC pickups, but they have adjustable polepieces. Had to be the very last variation of the CC before switching to the more P-90 like pups.
Tighe Falato

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2006 8:40 am    

John,
Charlie Christian pups with adjustable pole pieces? I always thought the CC was a solid blade first and then notches in the blade for specific strings in the following years. Is your D7 pickup metal covered with flat head screws as the pole pieces like the pup used on the second version of the ES-150? I'm curious....
Gibson used 4 different pups prewar that I'm aware of - Charlie Christian (EH/ES-150, etc.), split blade (EH-100 v.1 & v.2), metal covered with pole pieces (ES-150 v.2), metal covered no pole pieces (EH-100 V.3, EH-125 & EH-150 v.3) and the the ES-300 pup.
Richard Shatz

St. Louis
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2006 4:10 pm    

Tighe,
The FON is F1162-6. I guess it could be one number closer to yours, but that is pretty amazing. By the way what is "FON"?
Tighe Falato

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2006 5:45 am    

Richard,
The FON is the Factory Order Number and you definitely are the proud owner of a 275! Your search is over and you didn't have to look past your wall of steels I wonder who owns F1162-5 I thought is was amazing that consecutive serial #s fell into my lap (no pun intended) years apart but to find someone with another out of the 25 produced that is within one digit is wild
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2006 6:31 am    

Paul Warnik has one, too.

I hate you guys.
Richard Shatz

St. Louis
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2006 1:31 pm    

Mike,
Before I knew I had one, I hated everyone who owned one of these. You probably will too until you get one.
Tighe,
Thanks so much for the info. Where did you get the list of FON's that designate our steels as EH275s?
Tighe Falato

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 6:10 am    

Richard,
You can check Gruhn's Guide for general info on the FON. A fellow collector and friend of Gruhn/Carter has been looking for one of these rascals for years without luck. Very knowledgable fellow and provided good insight along with Lynn Wheelright (who owns more than one also) about the model. He offered me big $$$$s or a trade for any lap in his very extensive collection for one of mine. Very tempting but with only 25 (or less) floating around the long term investment potential is significant not to mention they are just stunning steels Of anyone I'm glad you have one as your Gibson steel collection is second to none.
Stephen Dorocke

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2006 7:39 am    

I sure hope these beauties are being played and not just hung up in some glass case....