| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Nichols, Hawaiian steel great/info?
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 10:15 pm    

Where are some good examples of Nichols playing, LP/CD/video? A talented player that gets little mention and less airplay. Was he a member of 'The Polynesians', or was this an LP title? What years was he with Hawaii Calls? I've seen him pictured with a Magnatone 2x8(Lyric), what was his prefered playing and recording guitar/s?

------------------
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 10:29 pm    

TOOMBA

It has Bobby Nichols, Andy Iona, Sam Koki, etc .... backing up Augie Goupil and his Royal Tahitians from the mid 30's ..

This one's not for the .. lets say ... timid ... Lots of gruntin' and slappin' ....

Tahitian .... I loved the Mel Gibson remake of "Mutany on the Bounty"

I know it's Bruce Clarke's personal favorite of all his restorations.

-----------------------------------------
www.horseshoemagnets.com

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 11 February 2003 at 12:36 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 5:05 am    

"Toomba" has NOT got Andy Iona on steel,(Bruce Clarke is mistaken),Andy didn't record with Augie Goupil. It was mostly Danny Stewart on steel AND vocals.

Check Macolm Rockwell's new book a discography of ALL Hawaiian 78's ever recorded. "Hawaiian Records - 1890 - 1960 By T.M. Rockwell" published later this year.

Bobby wasn't with Hawaii Calls.

Bobby, Sam Kaapuni and Hary Baty were the nucleus of the "Polynesians" who did a series of Lp's on Crown.

Baz. www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

[This message was edited by basilh on 06 February 2003 at 05:36 AM.]

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 6:25 am    

I'm fairly certain Bobby Nichols backed Lani McIntire for a number of years. Can't give you any titles of the top of my head. The liner notes on some of the Harlequin CDs might provide clues.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 6:31 am    

He Did play with Lani McIntire in the mid 30's in LA and later in the Lexington Hawaiian Room in NY. He recorded with him in LA and New York and the New York sessions were with a big band and a smaller group.
Baz

[This message was edited by basilh on 06 February 2003 at 06:33 AM.]

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 8:17 am    

Basil ...

Could you identify the steel players from TOOMBA for me ...

Faanavenave
Toomba
Tahiti O Tera
O Tahiti
Tiare Tahiti
Vahine Veve Au
Mokihana
Marcella Vahine
Hitaraa
Tupaha
Papio
Momi Pele
Vana Vana
Taata Hu'a
My Tiare
My Miri
Paoa
Manu E
One Finger, Two Finger, Three Finger Poi

I'm extremely interested in this "Time Period" ... and my "Name that Steeler" skills are not that highly developed.

-----------------------------------------
www.horseshoemagnets.com

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 11 February 2003 at 12:37 PM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 11:35 am    

Ok Rick
The Bob Nichols sessions were :-

Tauhere, Manue, Taata Hu'a, My Miri and Otea...

Sol K Bright played on Faa Navenave and Papio
ALL the rest was Danny Stewart.

Hope this is of some help.

Baz
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 11:39 am    

Thanks .... That should help with my "ear training"
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 11:50 am    

Rick, I couldn't tell by just listening... My source of info is my closest friend John Marsden who helped compile the relevant info for Macolm Rockwell's new book "Hawaiian Records - 1890 - 1960 By T.M. Rockwell" published later this year.
This book was I believe the culmination of nearly ten years of research by various collectors around the world.
Baz
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 11:56 am    

They all sound so GREAT ... stunning stuff ...

I have read about that Book ... I believe he was the guy who did the discography for that 100+ song ... mp3 compilation of those great 78's ... "Waikiki is alright with me" ... ???
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 11:57 am    

Ric, as an insight into what sort of info John posseses, here is an article from the Feb issue of our UK magazine "Aloha Dream"

DID YOU KNOW..........

HAWAIIAN MUSIC ON EARLY BBC RADIO.
John Marsden.

Thinking about Felix Mendelssohn in connection with yet another article request some three or four years ago, I began to wonder about his radio broadcasts. We all know there were many, and the Serenaders also appeared on early post-war television, but just how often were they heard, and when? I decided to find out, and so began my radio project, which is still ongoing. As back issues of the “Radio Times” are unavailable in Sheffield libraries, I’ve had to work through the daily papers, especially the “Times”, noting all programmes of Hawaiian or Polynesian interest. After covering Felix’s period, I decided to continue back to the very beginning of broadcasting in this country, and then work forward to the present. Eventually I’ll get all the results typed up and made available, but meanwhile I thought “Aloha Dream” readers might be interested to know about some of the earliest programmes and performers.

The BBC was formed in October 1922, and radio licenses {10 shillings per annum} were issued in November. The “Radio Times” first appeared in September 1923. but programmes began to be listed in the newspapers from January, though not every day and just for a few hours in the evening. Early studios opened in London, Birmingham, Newcastle, Manchester, Cardiff and Glasgow. On February 12th. there was the first broadcast from a theatre - “Cinderella” at the London Hippodrome.

The first Hawaiian programme came from the Manchester studio on Friday, April 13th {!} 1923, 9.20pm-10.00pm on 385 metres, and was by Bertie Howard’s Hawaiian Guitars. While this seems to have been the group’s sole appearance, Mr. S.A. Golden was playing Hawaiian Guitar in a varied musical Programme from London on Monday May 14th. Begining at 7.30pm, it also included Miss Guelda Dulay{soprano}, Mr Victor Courtney {entertainer} and an unnamed orchestra. Listings at this time often include the titles of pieces played, plus composers and arrangers. Mr Golden was joined by Miss Rhoda Freedman {ukulele} on June 16th.

On Tuesday, July 24th 1923, the intriguingly named Anglo-Hawaiian players made the first of a dozen or so appearances, while regular orchestras and jazz bands were including in their repertoires such songs as “Hawaiian Rainbow”
,”Honolulu Blues” and “Hawaiian Eyes.
On May 5th 1924, Messrs A. & L. Aggasild {Hawaiian Guitar Duets} made their first broadcast from Aberdeen on 495 metres in a wide -ranging musical programme , contributing “Mo-Na-Lu” {A Hulu Dance - sic! } ,Moonlight Melody”
“Pallekiko Blues” {sic!} and “Waltz Song” {One Two Three Four} . From Glasgow in the same month {3rd. 16th. 19th. and 31st.}, Capt. R.W. Campbell talked about “A Cruise to the South Sea Islands”, while on the 23rd. children in the London area were treated to “A Trip Round the World: Honolulu”.

On Sept. 12th. 1924, Miss Greta Scott’s Hawaiian Quartet broadcast from Liverpool, and on the 26th., Mr. Frederick W. Warrender {pianist} played “Na Lei O Hawaii”, Kamehameha Waltz”,”Pua Carnation”, “My Dear Hawaii”, “The King’s Serenade” and “Aloha Oe” in the Nottingham studio.

The Anglo-Hawaiian Players were in Bournemouth on Jan. 19th 1925, when they featured in a programme entitled “An Hour in Honolulu”. On Jan. 30th, from the same studio, Mr. A.F. Cramer participated with other performers and the Wireless Orchestra in a two hour musical feature, playing “Pua Carnation”, “Eastern Idyll”, “Reverie” and “Momi Waltz”. Mr. Cramer arranged most of these pieces for Clifford Essex, who also sold a tutor which he co-authored. He appeared in BMG concerts, and died in 1931, aged 66.

On March 5th 1925, the Anglo-Hawaiian Players were in Newcastle, presenting “A Night in Hawaii” {7.35-9.30p.m.}, and they repeated the show in Manchester on March 7th. A full listing of the songs is provided by the “Times”.

A particularly interesting programme is listed for April 1st. 1925, from Belfast. Commencing at 7.30p.m, a two-hour extravaganza entitled “April Folly” includes amongst the performers the Keech Brothers and “Kekuku” {Songs with the Banjulele, Banjo and Hawaiian Steel Guitar}.

Among the pieces they played were “Hawaiian Hula Melody”, “The Rosary”, “My California”, “My Hilo Girl”, “One two three four “ and “Follow the Swallow”.

Joseph Kekuku, of course, is credited by many with inventing the steel guitar, and he had come to England with the Bird of Paradise show. He broadcast again from London on July 16th, 8.00-9.00p.m, in “Way Down South” - the Southern Trio in Negro Spirituals and syncopated songs; Kekuku in Hawaiian Steel Guitar solos, accompanied by Danglada. I found one further broadcast, also from London, on Monday Sept.21st, 1925, 9.45p.m.-10.00- Kel and Alvin Keech, assisted by Kekuku with his Hawaiian Guitar. He is always billed by his surname alone.

Another pioneer, Segis Luvaun, is also just billed by his surname. He broadcast from London on November 7th 1925. Luvaun was an all-round entertainer, singing and playing both ukulele and steel guitar. The “Times” actually lists a broadcast by him from Sheffield on Aug.4th. 1926 - considerably before my time of course! {Oh yes John we believe you, honest} but our two local papers give a different billing, so perhaps there was a last minute cancellation . Luvaun was surely one of the most travelled early Hawaiian performers. He is believed to have been born outside Honolulu, and toured many of the larger U.S. cities before coming to London, where he was recorded in August 1916. He sometimes used the pseudonym “Juan Akoni”.
In 1919-20 he travelled to Scandinavia and then to Germay. He was back in England by the autumn of 1925, where in addition to broadcasting he recorded on Winner.
My friend George Carver of Newark recalls seeing Luvaun in Skegness in 1927, walking around and playing his guitar, which hung from a strap

around his neck. No money was taken, and he appeared to be advertising performances at a hotel or theatre, It sounded beautiful, and George remembers him playing “Somewhere in Honolulu” and Hawaiian Rainbow”. Luvaun was back in Berlin by March 1928.

Many other names crop up in 1920’s broadcasts, and there was also plenty for ukulele fans. Public interest was clearly at a high level, and continued to be so during the following decades. I’ve found it extremely interesting to discover so many names, some familiar and some new , {as Frank would say, new to us for quite a while , sorry John carry on.} - and would love to know more about these early players, few of whom are represented on record. My earliest BMG is the October 1929 issue. Does anyone have older ones? I’m sure they would give coverage to some of these players. They are part of the history of our music, and deserve to be documented and remembered.

And how about other countries? My good friend Gerrit Venema tells me that the first Hawaiian music programme in Holland was on Friday, March 20th 1925, and featured the Dutch Hawaiian Kwartet, led by Chris Vos. There were other programmes on Sept. 22nd and Nov. 17th. I think it would be very interesting to pursue this research, which seems never to have been tackled before.
© John Marsden.2003

Anytime Harlequin or any other major company want info on a compilation, John is the man they use for the sleeve notes, and contents source.
Baz
www.waikiki-islanders.com

[This message was edited by basilh on 06 February 2003 at 12:00 PM.]

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2003 12:58 pm    

Basil, thank you for posting the info from Mr. Marsden! That's some effort he put in to get it, and hope to hear more. Concerning Bobby Nichols, I had heard he was with the Hawaii Calls show on standard guitar, and have seen a great shot of him, David Kelii and Barney Isaacs all on the Moana stage, and all with Magnatones! But maybe he just sat in.

------------------
Frank Novicki

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2003 6:57 pm    

So Basil, who is publishing this book and how do we go about buying it? Thanks!
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 8:13 pm    

Hi Frank,
Regarding
Quote:
"Macolm Rockwell's new book "Hawaiian Records - 1890 - 1960 By T.M. Rockwell" published later this year"

I do believe the publisher IS at the moment a problem. More on this at a later date.

On the other hand If you want anymore information of the type I posted from John Marsden,.... then maybe "Aloha Dream" would fit the bill. Check out the info regarding this enthusiasts magazine @ www.waikiki-islanders.com

Mahalo Nui,
Baz
Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2006 4:07 pm    

Hi Baz,

What is the current status of this book?
Will it ever come out?

Thanks
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2006 4:19 pm    

the last time I saw Bobby was in 78 I believe. He was playing on the sidewalk in front of the International Market place with Bobby hew lin on guitar and a singing bassman whose last name was Peterson I believe. Bobby was also doing some singing but he had a hard time remembering the lyrics and he would make them up as he went along. I was standing next to him and I started laughing, so did he, and it was a blast. CC
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2006 4:59 pm    

CC, that most likely was Buddy Hew Len, w/Mel Peterson, not that I was fortunate enuf to have witnessed it like you did.

However, I was present last year when this type of nonchalant event was replicated at the same spot by Derrick on uke, Jeff Au Hoy on doghouse bass and Bobby Ingano on steel.
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2006 3:26 am    

You are right Ron. I couldn't think of Buddy and Bobby sounded close, That same yr I saw David Kelii at the same location playing with Eddie Kekaula. Jerry was with me and David played his heart out. CC
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2006 4:30 pm    

Just simply friggin WOW!
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2006 6:37 pm    

Derrick, give Malcolm a shout,

malcolm@maui.net

Should get him.
Baz
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2006 6:51 pm    

Pound for pound, I think that the early sides featuring Bobby Nichols are just about my favorite. There was a quality about his playing that no one else had. I really love the stuff he does with fourths and his feel was incredible.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2006 9:50 pm    

Ron says,
Quote:
Concerning Bobby Nichols, I had heard he was with the Hawaii Calls show on standard guitar, and have seen a great shot of him, David Kelii and Barney Isaacs all on the Moana stage, and all with Magnatones!

You are correct about Bobby Nichols being on Hawaii Calls and playing standard guitar.

Although he was not a regular on steel guitar, sometimes he was a fill-in.

Aloha,
Don

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2006 1:33 am    

Thanks Baz!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2006 9:40 am    

Thanx Don!

Mike,
any chance you can put up some of your Nichols recordings on your MySpace?
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2006 11:26 am    

There are those who have the impression Lani McIntire, (who was the brother to Dick), played steel on all the great recordings with his group when in fact it was Bobby. Lani was a talented rhythm guitarist and singer. (A third brother, Al played upright bass).

To my understanding, other than puttering around on steel, Lani never played steel with his group....perhaps I stand to be corrected ?